Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act!2008 and SQL Server - installation question

Act!2008 and SQL Server - installation question

Hi there,

I bought myself a copy of Act!2008 and I have heard that installation can be a risky business, so I'm trying to be prepared before I start...

I already have a version of SQL Server 2005 on my machine. I believe it is the Standard version. Does anyone know how this will affect the installation process? (I'm on Win XP Pro)

Also, will I be able to get support from Sage during installation? I read something about 30 hours of installation support.

Thanks in advance!
Tamasin
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Act!2008 and SQL Server - installation question

it will not affect the installation - act will create its own sql express instance

Tom

Thanks for the quick reply!
That's very interesting. The two installations will run side by side without issue?

TSmiley Happy
Nickel Super Contributor

Yes they will, SQL by design will allow multiple instances on one machine, I for examle have one for act, one for mscrm, one for sage crm and one for our av.

Tom

I want to Install Act!2008 with SQL standard edition. IS there any document available? Let mw know. Thank in Advance.

hi of course Act Tech support can help you with the installation. its not 30 hours, but its a 30 days warranty support. its better if you can call tech support,as you have another SQL instance running, and they know the best on how to do it for you.
Have a Nice Day!
zeezar
Platinum Elite Contributor

Tamasin wrote:
Hi there,

I bought myself a copy of Act!2008 and I have heard that installation can be a risky business, so I'm trying to be prepared before I start...

I already have a version of SQL Server 2005 on my machine. I believe it is the Standard version. Does anyone know how this will affect the installation process? (I'm on Win XP Pro)

Also, will I be able to get support from Sage during installation? I read something about 30 hours of installation support.

Thanks in advance!
Tamasin

As a thought... if you have ACT! 2008 Premium EX, you'll actually be able to use the SQL Standard version you have installed.

amitmarkians wrote:
I want to Install Act!2008 with SQL standard edition. IS there any document available? Let mw know. Thank in Advance.

In your own SQL? You need the Premium version (EX is fine as ST includes SQL ST cals which you'd have)

This article in the ACT! Knowledge Base will explain what you need to do - http://tinyurl.com/yqd7u2

Perform a Selective restart with MSCONFIG as per ACT! KB 14499
Install ACT! 10
Install ACT! 10.01 patch if the previous install was the previous build
Restore from Selective Startup Mode with MSCONFIG
Reboot

I've read Answer ID 21440 as suggested, but one thing is unclear...  Can I install "Act! 2008" (non-Premium, single user version) on my own SQL or must I use "Act! 2008 Premium"?  I am a single user and I want to avoid the additional expense of "Premium" if I can.  The opening paragraph of the Answer ID reads:
"With the release of ACT! 2008, an existing SQL installation (with CALs - Client Access License) can be utilized by our product, rather than installing the SQL product that ships with ACT!. If you have an existing SQL Server and wish to also house the ACT! database, you must complete the installation and configuration of an ACT7 instance before proceeding with an installation of the ACT! 2008 software."

But later in the article and in this thread it is indicated that you must use Act! 2008 Premium.

I haven't tried it with the non-Premium... but I guess it would make sense that this is something more likely needed for Premium users.

It might be worth trying, and if it doesn't work, delete the ACT7 instance