Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2008 - and MS Net 2.0 update ---didn't solve the problem

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Act 2008 - and MS Net 2.0 update ---didn't solve the problem

[ Edited ]

I keep on receiving the message act needs to close --- Act support told me to updated to act 10.0.3.182, didn't help -

Then act support said to do the following - that hasn't helped either

I stopped the sql server, unistalled the net 2.0 and reinstalled the net 2.0, restart pc - started the sql server -

and I still have the same problem. Act only works if I restart my computer, then act is fine for the day - but the next day I have to do the same routine over again.

Help ----

Is any body else having these same issues ----

Pam

Message Edited by sntrucking on 07-24-2008 07:42 AM
Message Edited by sntrucking on 07-24-2008 09:00 AM

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author sntrucking
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Act 2008 - and MS Net 2.0 update ---didn't solve the problem

AM Update ---- I've resigned to the fact that I have a new am routine ---- I close act every night ---- (so my backups will run without shutting down my computer) ---- I run the services.msc, start the sql act7 service, then start act ----  So with my round about fix - I guess this is it till the next update from act or microsoft....

View solution in original post

All Replies

Pam,

What happens overnight on the computer?  Are there any software scheduled to run at a certain time (antivirus, software updates, etc...)?  Is your computer setup to go into hibernation after you've been idle for so long?

Copper Contributor

I have a retrospect express backup set up to go off at 10:00 pm ---- but that was in place and everything was working long before this problem started.  Otherwise, nothing that I'm aware of is happening.

I also detached the database and deleted the pad and started the program up with the adf file to recreate the pad if it was damaged - but that didn't work either.   

Copper Contributor

Last night I turned off my computer ---- Started it this am --- act wouldn't start (same message Error: "The database <Database name> could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software...)

I then restarted my computer and it act started fine. ---- I have done everything that Answer ID 19640 in the knowledge base has suggested. And nothing works. I would be dead in the water if this was a networked program ----

Please somebody help me......

Pam

Copper Super Contributor

I suspect the SQL ACT Service is not starting in a timely manner or at all. The next time you get the error message check to see if the service is started, verify the start up type is "automatic". If the service is intermittently starting on boot it will give us a troubleshooting start point. 
Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA
Copper Contributor

Hi Brad,  Thanks so much for any help you can give me...   Act is working now --- I checked the SQL (Act7) and it is running and does say automatic.   But I will check it in the AM when Act isn't and let you know.

Thanks again

Pam 

Copper Contributor

Well here is my morning update - Yesterday I uninstalled my act to quickbooks link - it never worked accept to get all of my customers and vendors over to act, I could see AR dollar amounts in act and it would freeze act up if i tried to start an invoice up from act.  That was a whole other set of problems but it was a nicety not a necessity.

Anyway, this am Retropsect my backup program gave me an error "must close due to error - tell microsoft?". I cleared the message - checked that the SQL ACT7 was running and yes it was.  I started ACT and it started just fine.  Then I started Retropect and it started fine too.  

So I don't know if uninstalling the qb link solved the problem or if retropsect starting after act solved the problem.   I'll leave my computer on tonight to see what happens in the am.  

What do you think ---- or was it just a freak thing that it happened to work?????

Pam 

Copper Contributor

Well - I think we are making progress ------ I left my computer on and act was not responding - it had a problem and needed to close - the I started it up again without rebooting my computer -- it failed.    I then checked on the SQL ACT 7 service and it was not started ----- So I started it up and then act started just fine..... 

What do I need to do to make sure that the SQL Act 7 service is always started?
   Any body got any suggestions?????

Solution
Accepted by topic author sntrucking
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

AM Update ---- I've resigned to the fact that I have a new am routine ---- I close act every night ---- (so my backups will run without shutting down my computer) ---- I run the services.msc, start the sql act7 service, then start act ----  So with my round about fix - I guess this is it till the next update from act or microsoft....