Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! 2008 & peripherals, and Vista questions, claims on the box

Act! 2008 & peripherals, and Vista questions, claims on the box

Hi, first post under this name, used to be a member, not sure what happened...

So, I just bought a laptop w/ Vista to use as my main computer. I had a desktop w/ XP Pro and Act! 2005 version 7 I believe? Anyway, starting over now.

So, I saw a bundle of ACT! 2008 bundled with High Impact Email and Office Ready, and had some questions. First, Act! 2008:

* Says it's compatible w/ Vista, but then you get to the email section and it says:

"Create, send, and track e-mail to/from contacts using ACT! E-mail Client integrated with Outlook Express or Lotus Notes, or integrate ACT! directly with Outlook.3"

So, Outlook Express was replaced with Windows Mail in Vista, and this says it's compatible w/ Vista, but touts integration with OE, so does it work w/ Windows Mail, or not?

Reason I use Windows Mail now, the replacement for OE, w/ my IMAP email server, it stores messages as individual dbx files when saved to personal folders, which seems to run ok despite collectively several GB of data in these personal folders, whereas Outlook stores those big PST files, which seem to become unstable and crash the program in the past, when they get so large.

------------------

* Other Office integration: Getting new Office install for this Vista maching, is it ok to go to Office 2007 now w/ ACT, or is 2003 still the only viable option?

-------------------

* Any problems using Companion Link w/ Act! 2008 to sync with PDAs running Windows Mobile, like the HTC  6800? I've been using companion link on XP w/ the old Act, and can upgrade it to work with Vista and Act! 2008, I believe, but wanted any real world feedback if I can get it.

--------------------

* Anyone know anything about this High Impact Email, or Office Ready?

Says the email program helps create newsletters and mass mailings, but works through email clients, like Outlook or OE, but again, how about Windows Mail? And I know some ISPs, or mail hosts, limit the number of outbound mails you can send, so I wonder how that works w/ a program like this.

Well, those were some of my questions off the top of my head. I would appreciate any and all feedback.

Thanks,

Karz

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act! 2008 & peripherals, and Vista questions, claims on the box

karz10 wrote:

So, I saw a bundle of ACT! 2008 bundled with High Impact Email and Office Ready, and had some questions. First, Act! 2008:

* Says it's compatible w/ Vista, but then you get to the email section and it says:

"Create, send, and track e-mail to/from contacts using ACT! E-mail Client integrated with Outlook Express or Lotus Notes, or integrate ACT! directly with Outlook.3"

So, Outlook Express was replaced with Windows Mail in Vista, and this says it's compatible w/ Vista, but touts integration with OE, so does it work w/ Windows Mail, or not?

No. I don't think the new Windows Mail has the API to allow other products to use it in this way. My Outlook 2007 off-line file is 4.8 GB, so they can get pretty large without any problems.

* Other Office integration: Getting new Office install for this Vista maching, is it ok to go to Office 2007 now w/ ACT, or is 2003 still the only viable option?

ACT! 2008 works fine with Office 2007

* Any problems using Companion Link w/ Act! 2008 to sync with PDAs running Windows Mobile, like the HTC  6800? I've been using companion link on XP w/ the old Act, and can upgrade it to work with Vista and Act! 2008, I believe, but wanted any real world feedback if I can get it.

You're best bet would be to check with them. Personally, I find Handheld Contact to be a much better option for Windows Mobile or Blackberry smart phones.