Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2008 Unable to Set Preferences for Word/Outlook 2007

Act 2008 Unable to Set Preferences for Word/Outlook 2007

I recently reformatted my hard drive and had to reinstall Act 2008 (which previously had worked fine). Now, however, Act's "Preferences" can no longer be set -- particularly the word processor and email programs. When I try to create preferences (under Tools) for both Outlook 2007 as the email program and Word 2007 for the word processor, I am unable to do so.

While Outlook successfully can be configured in Preferences, there are NO options for me when it comes to setting the word processor (the choices are blank and I am unable to select anything).  Further, when I exit Act and then open Act again, none of the preferences are saved and I have to start all over again.

When I try to click on the "Write Letter" icon, I get two error messages: The first says: "No Value with requested Preference Key.General/DefaultWordProcessor." After I click "OK," I get a follow-along email message: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

I have tried running "Actdiag" to delete Preferences (and start over), but this too generates an error message and the preferences are not deleted. I have tried uninstalling Act 2008 and reinstalling . . . but I get the same error messages.

Act did work up until the hard drive reformatting and reinstall. Now all I have are problems.

I am running Act 2008 and Office 2007 on a Vista machine.

Please help!

Jeff 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2008 Unable to Set Preferences for Word/Outlook 2007

There are two things you can try, in this order:

1) Disable User Account Control (UAC). Instructions are in KB Article 20220

2) After you reboot, browse to delete the following folder (do not open ACT!, Word, Excel or Outlook yet):

C:\Users\<User_Name>\AppData\Roaming\ACT\ACT for Windows {version of ACT!}

This will reset all of your preferences and rebuild them from the ACT! defaults

Open ACT! and test.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Re: Act 2008 Unable to Set Preferences for Word/Outlook 2007

Greig,

A perfect solution! It worked without a hitch.  Thanks for exactly the right fix to my problem.

Regards,

Jeff