Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2008 Sllloooooooowwww!!!!

Act 2008 Sllloooooooowwww!!!!

I have been using Act 2008 for 3 monnth and it is so slow compared to Act 6.0.  I installed updates so that it is at build 10.0.3.182 and it is slow as cold molasses.  It took 50 seconds this morning to clear an item as done in my appt. book which is ridiculous.  The contact part of the program is working fine but managing my appointment book and "to do" lists is insane.  ANY SUGGESTIONS OTHER THAN GO TO OUTLOOK???????
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2008 Sllloooooooowwww!!!!

What hardware - Processor, RAM and Hard disk speed in RPM?

What Operating System?

How many contacts?

Shared on a LAN or local?

Pentium 4 - 3 GHZ - 1.29 GB RAM.  Don't know RPM - how do I find?

OS - Windows XP Pro w/SP3

4,000 contacts - need to add 2,000 more

Local system only - not shared.

[ Edited ]

HHD RPM is not easy to find... I don't think it's shown in the OS. I usually get the manufacturer and model from the drive and google it.

With 5400rpm, you'll fine SQL (and ACT!) to be wuite slow. I recommend 7200rpm or faster for optimum speed.

1.29GB RAM is an odd amount... is that one, two or more sticks? If only one stick, the processor doesn't really using its hyperthreading or dual cores.

Also, make sure you set your Windows page file to 2GB (both max and min) - defrage before you do this.

And exclude ADF and ALF files from your anti-virus

Message Edited by GLComputing on 10-06-2008 03:02 AM

Hi Mike:  Thansk for all your help.

1. Typo - 1.49 npt 1.29 - it has 2 1GB sticks.  A certain amount is used by system.

2. Re: RPM hard - drive is 3 years old - put computer in service 5/05.  My guess is that it is not 7200 rpm.

3. Did not understand last sentence:

a. How do you set Windows page file? 

b. I Understand Defrag process - have done many times but not lately

c. How do you exclude .adf & .alf files from anti-virus.  I use Norton Internet Security & do not know of any way to include or exclude file types.

Best Regards,

Jim Bushnell

JimBushnell@BushnellCompany.com

1. Half a gig used by the system? I can only guess for an internal graphic board? That's quite a waste.

2. It could be 7200 or 5400... if a notebook, back then probably 5400 and might be worth the upgrade

3. a. http://www.theeldergeek.com/physically_setting_the_page_file_size.htm

b. Worth doing it once a month. Also do a Compress/Reindex of the database once a week (after a backup)

c. Maybe try http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/pfdocs/199829164436

Mike:  Thanks all the help - really appreciate it.  I now think it is a 7200 RPM hard drive since it is in a desktop unit & not a notebook.  I think the problem is in the defrag - it going all over the place to find files.  Best regrads, Jim

Do the defrag, increase the swap file and defrag again...

Check the drive speed (some desktops also had 5400rpm drives)

And also stop the AV from scanning the database with every access

Let me know how you go.

Tuned Listener

I have a dell 1400 vostro laptop.  I purchased a 7200 rpm harddrive and just added 4 gig ram.  I still have speed issues with ACT 2008. 

When I access activities on the daily calendar (located to the right of the calendar), when I change one, it takes 5 -6 second to redraw the list.  It just hangs there then redraws.

Does 2009 speed up any? 

Thanks

Rusty

I really feel for you as I know what you are going through.  2009 will speed things up a bit but the real culprit for me was all the cleared activities thai I had in my calendar.  I had like 12,000 if I recall correctly b/c I mark as cleared when items are done & I use it instead of timesheets since I am a fee based consultant.  So, I saed everythinfg through 6/30/08 in a sepearte file & then deleted all cleared activities in my current file starting 7/1 forward.  This dramatically reduced the wait time by 98*.  Before I bought 2009 I would check to see if clearing the activities solves the problem for you.  Be sure an make a back up .zip file in case you have to restore. call me if I can help you further.  All the best, Jim Bushnell 512-291-9400