Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! 2008 -- Oddities...

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act! 2008 -- Oddities...

@padova wrote:

@kquigley wrote:

Check to see what your processes are in descending order under the Task Manager.

SQL server typically uses the most, but if you're much over 256MB for SQL then somethings amiss.

Also check to see that you're virtual memory is set to use the full 4096MB allowed for the swap file.

I don't know what you are talking about, but I don't have any processes using 256MB at the moment.  I can recheck when my Control-C / Contro-V doesn't work any more.

I am honestly beside myself that an "ACT! Evangelist" would be fine with basic Windows functionallity disappearing in this software.  I feel like I should have done better shopping for my CRM.

Who said I was fine with it? It just doesn't happen often enough for me to have tracked it down.

I get it happening in other applications also... I suspect it's something in Microsoft's .Netgetting overloaded that might be the cause.

Copper Contributor

@Roy_Laudenslage wrote:
Because Windows, not the individual program, controls the interface to the video display, keyboard and mouse, I would suspect that Windows is the guilty party.

Well it seems in my instance it's only Act!  When I have had that problem, I had tried it in other programs and it works fine.  If any one has any solid advice I am all ears.  "Grin and bear it" doesn't qualify as solid advice in my book.

Copper Contributor

Another oddity -- When you complete an activity, sometimes on the rarest of occasions it will actually change the time to the time that you completed the activity.  Most of the time it does not,  it will just keep the same time that you had scheduled.
Copper Contributor

@GLComputing wrote:

Who said I was fine with it? It just doesn't happen often enough for me to have tracked it down.

I get it happening in other applications also... I suspect it's something in Microsoft's .Netgetting overloaded that might be the cause.

I don't think I use a great deal of .NET stuff.  Honestly Act! is the only offender.  If this was my only issue it wouldn't really be an issue, but you can see from my other posts that this is really an annoyance.  

@padova wrote:
Another oddity -- When you complete an activity, sometimes on the rarest of occasions it will actually change the time to the time that you completed the activity.  Most of the time it does not,  it will just keep the same time that you had scheduled.

Timeless activities should defailt to the time you clear it

Timed activities should default to the time you had the activity scheduled

@padova wrote:

I don't think I use a great deal of .NET stuff.  Honestly Act! is the only offender.  If this was my only issue it wouldn't really be an issue, but you can see from my other posts that this is really an annoyance.  

It doesn't require "a great deal of stuff"... .Net seems to leak resources.

Copper Contributor

@GLComputing wrote:

@padova wrote:

If this is being caused by .NET stuff, why is Act! the only offender?  I mean it sounds like you are putting the cart before the horse here.

I found another oddity.

If I leave a URL in a Event (Call / Meeting / etc) details, I click it once, but it comes up 4 times in my browser. 

Is this another symptom of .NET. 

@padova wrote:

@GLComputing wrote:

@padova wrote:

If this is being caused by .NET stuff, why is Act! the only offender?  I mean it sounds like you are putting the cart before the horse here.

You probably aren't running other .Net apps?

I found another oddity.

If I leave a URL in a Event (Call / Meeting / etc) details, I click it once, but it comes up 4 times in my browser. 

This is one I can't replicate... if you're on a LAN, does it happen on other machines?

Does it happen in the demo database?

What version of ACT! (the full build from Help | About)? 

Copper Contributor

@GLComputing wrote:

@padova wrote:

Timeless activities should defailt to the time you clear it

Timed activities should default to the time you had the activity scheduled

I am now 100% certain that it doesn't always work like this and it really should not.  Act should record the time I complete an activity when I complete it.

I just completed a scheduled call and it put the correct time, not the time it was scheduled. 

Copper Contributor

@GLComputing wrote:

@padova wrote:

@GLComputing wrote:

@padova wrote:

You probably aren't running other .Net apps?

I found another oddity.

This is one I can't replicate... if you're on a LAN, does it happen on other machines?

Does it happen in the demo database?

What version of ACT! (the full build from Help | About)? 

Typically I will have these applications open.  Quotewerks doesn't run all the time, but most of the other Apps do.

ACT! by Sage 2008 (10.0) Version 10.0.3.182 

Firefox v2.0.0.16

Outlook 2007

Excel 2007

Quotewerks v4.0

Trillian 3.1 Basic