Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2008 Backup/Restore

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Act 2008 Backup/Restore

I'm having a problem restoring an Act 2008 database into a new installation.  I get error messages like:

"The file you are trying to attempting to restore does not contain an Act! backup."

"The SQL Database instance is unavailable."

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

"The backup of this database can only be restored on the machine that was used to creat it.  Use the Restore As option to restore the database on this machine."

This is an Act 2008 datbase being restored to an Act 2008 datbase.....should be no problem but it's a nightmare.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Plazmatix
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Act 2008 Backup/Restore

Actually, it WAS different times after trying different things....I really didn't have time to wait for a reply on this as my business relies a lot on my contacts in Act so I paid the $45 to have a tech. do a reinstall for me.  The problem appeared to be a corrupt uninstall so the tech. deleted all the SQL installs on my computer, as well as the SQL references in the registry.  He did a manual install of SQL and Act from the directories on the CD and it was back.

Thanks for taking the time to respond....I wish I'd have had the time to work it out on my own but it was not to be....

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

You get all these errors or when trying it multiple time you get different ones?

At what points do these errors occur?

Have you copied the ZIP to the C: drive and restore from there?

Are you doing File | Restore | Restore As?

What version of ACT! (the full build from Help | About)?  If 10.0.0 or 10.01 - update to 10.03

You can download the current patch from http://www.act.com/support/updates/index.cfm 

Solution
Accepted by topic author Plazmatix
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Actually, it WAS different times after trying different things....I really didn't have time to wait for a reply on this as my business relies a lot on my contacts in Act so I paid the $45 to have a tech. do a reinstall for me.  The problem appeared to be a corrupt uninstall so the tech. deleted all the SQL installs on my computer, as well as the SQL references in the registry.  He did a manual install of SQL and Act from the directories on the CD and it was back.

Thanks for taking the time to respond....I wish I'd have had the time to work it out on my own but it was not to be....