Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2008 10.0 crashing Business Contact Manager/Outlook - Newbie needs help

Act 2008 10.0 crashing Business Contact Manager/Outlook - Newbie needs help

I am a newbie to Act so I may miss some information you need to help me.  I purchased Act 2008 10.0 this past Sunday from Office Depot and installed on Monday.  I immediately starting having issues with Outlook and Business Contact Manager.  When trying to compose a new email, BCM get a fatal error and needs to shut down, thus preventing me from sending any emails.  

I have had the tech people on the phone 3 times today trying to figure it out, and of course it appears we get it fixed, able to send test email to myself, but as soon as you hang up, it crashes again.  I won't be able to respond to any replies until tomorrow, but if you have any ideas of what I should check, look at, adjust, what additional information you need, etc. please post and I will respond tomorrow morning when I am at the office.  Thanks.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2008 10.0 crashing Business Contact Manager/Outlook - Newbie needs help

What version of ACT! (the full build from Help | About)? If not 10.02 or 10.03, I'd do the update.

What version of Outlook?

What crash message?

What error in the Windows Event Log?

I had this same problem.  There are a few issues to consider.

Did you install a version of Outlook with BCM included or did you add BCM later?  If you added BCM after the fact then you may need to unistall Act! and Outlook/BCM.  It really is not a big deal as long as you save the Outlook PST file that has all your Outlook mail and contact information.

After you reinstall Outlook and BCM make sure they are up to date with the last SP and patches.

Then reinstall Act!.  Make sure Act! is upgraded before you do any type of connection with Outlook.

Good luck. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

There's nothing in the ACT! Knowledge Base, but in the Peachtree KB, I think it has the answer (ACT! 10 also uses .Net 2.0)

Microsoft say that .Net versions shouldn't conflict with each other... funny their own product has a problem when .Net 2.0 is added.

You need to get a patch for BCM to make it work when .Net 2.0 is on the same system

See this Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/4e3aa5