Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2008 10.0 Import .csv file does not replace with newest information

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Act 2008 10.0 Import .csv file does not replace with newest information

Act! 2008 version 10.0

I have previously never had any issues with importing a .csv file and having the data match to existing contacts and then replace existing data in various fields. Now, all of the sudden, the data will not update. Yes, I have done the following:

- matched duplicates on multiple choices

- checked the .csv file for corrupted data

- attempted multiple times with no success

- tried on a limited number of contacts

- etc. etc.

The only change that has occurred is that I recently merged two existing databases. However, I am still an administrator, still have permissions, the fields still are NOT coded "READ ONLY" etc., etc.

Can anyone help? 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author jminsc
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Act 2008 10.0 Import .csv file does not replace with newest information

The issue has been resolved. Apparently the database in question needed to be repaired and rebuilt via the actdiag tool. The import and overwrite of existing fields with newer information now works just fine. Yes - on Act! 2008 version 10.0 you are able to import AND OVERWRITE information into fields which already have existing data (i.e. they are not empty) without purchasing an add on.

I am not completely up to speed on later releases, but from what I have read it appears that this overwrite feature has been disabled on newer versions of Act! The reason why is beyond my comprehension. 

Best, 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Jminsc,

Welcome to the Act! Online Community!

For your import there are a few tests you can do to see where the issue lies:

1. Be sure you are signed on locally to the computer hosting the database? (not accessing it over a network)

2. Test your file by creating a new file manually with only 1 or 2 contacts and see if they will import and replace.

3. Test your database by opening the Actdemo database and importing the same set of information into it and then alter the data and reimport to see if it replaces.

On your main database, also run 'Check and Repair' through the Tools > Database Maintenance option.

Greg Martin
Sage

Greg:

Thanks for the response.

1. The database is located on a seperate computer from the one I use. I am not "logged on" that computer. However, this has never been an issue in the past. Why would this be an issue now?

2. I have created a contact on the Demo with no success either. The demo is actually located on my local computer which I am signed onto and this still does not work.

2. I have manually created a csv file and tried to update. This does not work. Interestingly enough, during the import process, the test subject is recognized as a match - it just will not "replace with the newest contact information." Also, there are no error messages.

3. I have run the diagnostics to no avail.

Any other suggestions?

Platinum Elite Contributor

From this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1520...

Item 13:

Merge - Imports data only into fields that are blank in the destination record
Replace with the newest contact
- Populates all fields with the newest data from either record
Replace with the source contact - Replaces all fields with source data
Do not change - Leaves all data in destination record unchanged 

I don't know why it may have appeared to replace data previously, it's not supposed to and I've never seen it do it without using an addon such as itImport

[ Edited ]

Well it DID do imports AND overwrite existing data with newer data in the past WITHOUT paying for itimport. This is VERY fishy - especially due to the fact that we had Act! Customer Support [Edit:Content removed. Please post courteously] assist with the merging of the two databases. I will definitely be looking into this in MUCH more depth.

Message Edited by ghollister on 05-18-2010 10:31 AM

Wherever ACT! talks about import/merging, it states it's only into empty fields.

I can't tell you why it may have appeared to work on your system in the past... It's never been meant to do that and it doesn't work that way on any system I've seen

There are at least five other products I know that have been written to provide that functionality that's not in any version of ACT! so far

Solution
Accepted by topic author jminsc
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

The issue has been resolved. Apparently the database in question needed to be repaired and rebuilt via the actdiag tool. The import and overwrite of existing fields with newer information now works just fine. Yes - on Act! 2008 version 10.0 you are able to import AND OVERWRITE information into fields which already have existing data (i.e. they are not empty) without purchasing an add on.

I am not completely up to speed on later releases, but from what I have read it appears that this overwrite feature has been disabled on newer versions of Act! The reason why is beyond my comprehension. 

Best, 

It never worked on previous versions either... I suspect they added it and realised it caused problems and stopped it again.

Keep good backups

Copper Contributor

I have ACT 2010 when I import will it merge information into all fields or just the blank ones and if does not will it replace the current information. If so is there a way avoid this from happening and still keeping the old information and adding the new?

Thanks

According to the Knowledge Base, it only merges into the blank fields.

To update existing data, you need an addon like itImport