Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! 2007 installation fails-loops

Act! 2007 installation fails-loops

We are continuing to receive the same error during the installation of Act! 2007 on our Windows 2000 server/workstation-even after performing a format reinstall of the operating system.

The installation begins and then prompts that additional Mircrosoft components need to be installed.  The screen shows the file name and path for MDAC 2.8 SP1 and then prompts that the computer needs to restart.  After the restart, the installation process just keeps looping this same sequence.  I have tried the installation after removing all startup items and left only the required Windows items, but the looping error continues.

We look forward to a response,

Computerpower

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Act! 2007 installation fails-loops

There is something preventing the MDAC 2.8 SP1 component from installing.  Please download the proper version for your operating system and install it independent of the ACT! experience:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=78cac895-efc2-4f8e-a9e0-3a1afbd5922e&displa...

Should that install properly, you should be able to install your ACT! product without this error.

Please post your results.

thanks

Matthew McFadden

The problem is solved!

The MDAC 2.8 SP1 installation was failing even after manually downloading and installing it.

After researching online, we found that the installation is failing due to a read-only attribute set on some file in the c:\winnt\inf directory.

We removed the read-only attribute for all the files in that directory and the installation of MDAC 2.8 SP1 and then Act! 2007 completed without error.

Your advice is much appreciated!

Best Regards,

Computerpower

I'm stumped.  I'm running Win 2000, I've done all these things - downloaded the MDAC 2.8 SP1 from Microsoft's website, changed the attributes on the winnt files so they are no longer "read only", and yet cannot get the Service Pack to install.  The message I get says "INF Install failure.  Reason: access denied."  Does anybody have any suggestions?
Nickel Elite Contributor

So the issue at this point is that you cannot apply the MDAC 2.8SP1 component as supplied by Microsoft's download on your Windows 2000 machine, correct?

Check to see if you can right click on the package and "Run as Adminstrator", not sure if W2K had that option though.

What if you create another Admin user account on the machine and attempt to install?  Could be a damaged profile that is preventing the install.

Have you contacted Microsoft at all on this or looked through their knowledgebase articles?

thank

Matthew McFadden

Yes - that's the problem.

W2K doesn't have that option.

setting up a second admin account was a great idea, but it didn't work either.  Still get the same error message - "INF failure.  Reason: Access denied."

I spent most of yesterday digging through MS knowledgebase. Downloaded the Process Monitor (replacement for Regmon and filemon) from sysinternals.com but couldn't figure out what it was telling me.  When I filtered for dasetup.exe it found nothing.

I also downloaded the component checker from MS Data Access and Storage Developer Center MDAC downloads. It showed about one third of the files listed as "expected version" in the "mismatch column, and about 2/3 say "none" in the mismatch column.  I don't know if this is good or not.

I've tried to e-mail, or better talk to a person at MS, but can't figure out how to do it.  The website has what appears to be a link to contact them, but it just takes me back to the knowledgebase.

Any more ideas you can come up with would be great.

Chuck