Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2005 cannot open contacts

Act 2005 cannot open contacts

Does Act need to be loaded on the server that the db reside? About 3 weeks ago after loading Quickbooks 2009 we could not access our Act DB anymore. Message looked to be a permissions on the network but was not the case. Since then we got a new server and moved the ACT folder over and still cannot open any of our contacts. Does ACT need to be installed on the server that hosts the information? I tried moving all the data local and get the same error

Thank You

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2005 cannot open contacts

Please provide more info;

What Operating Systems are involved?

What version of ACT! ?

What version of SQL Server are you now using and what version were you using before you installed QB?

Exactly What error messages are you getting?

Have you tried runing ACTDIAG(rebuild options)?

Have you tried to reinstall ACT!?

Thanks - FSB

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html
Platinum Elite Contributor

To answer your basic question, yes the ACT! program must be installed on the system where the database is located. However, ACT! need not be open for others to access the database but the SQL server must be running.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

[ Edited ]

Thank You for the quick Replies

So it looks initially I will install ACT on the new server. Will I have to do anything special to get my existing DB to run as they are on our network drive or will they just work

Thank You again!

Windows 2003 SBS

Act 2005

Message Edited by pcijohn on 07-29-2009 09:36 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

You should be able to open the database and get it to connect if you open it using the ADF file option. The PAD file is a pointer and the one you copied over is useless. You can delete it and a new one will be created when the database attaches to the SQL server.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

When I try and install Act on the new Windows 2003 SBS server it says we have to load disc 2 with SQL 2000 on it even though SQL 2005 is on the sever it won't load sql 2000 because of incapatibilty but doesn't see the sql 2005 How do I get past this?

Thank You in advance

I moved the .ADF file locally and deleted the .PAD file when I try and open it i get theis message The LSN (10718:385.1) passed to log scan in database mastercontacts is not valid.The error may indicate data corruption or that the log file (ldf) does not match the data file (mdf).

hmmm

thanks

Bronze Elite Contributor

ACT! is a SQL database. You cannot move the .adf and .alf without disconnecting them from the ACT7 SQL instance. How did you move them? 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

[ Edited ]

I did disconnect them first and stopped the sql server service then moved them. Is there a way to reconnect them in the new computer?

Thank You

Message Edited by pcijohn on 07-31-2009 04:56 AM

Any suggestions?

I have the new version coming. When I load it on the server will my old db just open up? or should I work on getting the db to open on my local workstation.

Thanks