Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 11 Google Sync. Google Deletes Act

Act 11 Google Sync. Google Deletes Act

I keep having a problem with google deleting the contacts from ACT after i sync the first time. this last time they tried to delete after the 1st sync. another time it was after about the 3rd. I now have tried purge more than once. as well as resetting the droid phone. 

CAn anyone offer a suggestion?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 11 Google Sync. Google Deletes Act

I am using Companionlink. I unistalled and reinstalled with the latest 3080 this afternoon. the sync seems to be working the last 6-7 times i have tired and changes are not syncing.

Strange thing now is that i cannot get all the uploaded contacts to sync down to my Moto Droid now. 

I never had this much trouble with my blackberry and act/companionlink USP sync... 

Loyal Listener

I am having a similar problem with ACT!6 <-> CompanionLink <-> gmail <-> Droid. The ACT!6 database seems to sync accurately with the gmail contacts -- at least they each have the same number of contacts. The Droid has about 90 fewer contacts. This appears to be a Google problem that may cause a sync problem with many contact managers using the sync route through gmail to an Android phone. It is hard to verify because Google has an amazing dearth of documentation and support on the Android contact app and the Droid <-> gmail sync.

My guess is that either the Droid contact app or the Droid/gmail sync process is being "helpful" by merging duplicate contacts. Or at least what Google thinks are duplicate contacts. I cannot verify this because I cannot find any nontrivial definition of a contact or a duplicate contact for the Android application or for the gmail sync. The Google support email mechanism seems to be an inbox only operation.

Check multiple contacts with the same phone number. You might find them combined on the Droid. I noticed this problem with the "contact" that ACT!Diag adds each time it runs. I had left them in the database. ACT!6 and gmail agreed; the Droid was missing many and had notes from multiple contacts under one. If you find some "merged" contacts then the problem is independent of the ACT! version and CompanionLink. Unfortunately it makes CompanionLink's advertisement about syncing to the Droid pretty tenuous. Their tech support says if they sync correctly to gmail it is no longer their problem.

CompanionLink does have a wired sync to the Android contact app and to their own Android calendar app. I have not tried it. It may solve the missing contact problem.

If you get better information (or a solution!) please post it so we can all benefit.

Thanks,

Joe M

And the worst thing when that happens... what effect does a change to one of those "missing" records have?

Eventually the data in ACT! will go bad

Loyal Listener

Mike,

Oh yeah!

And if you touch a merged contact's recurring activity on the phone you can almost hear the changes reaching a critical mass as they propagate back to gmail and ACT!.

Please note that I am using "merged" contact differently than the Droid uses it. The Droid has a facility where contacts in multiple gmail accounts can be joined and separated on the Droid. This is different.

Joe M

Copper Contributor

See my post under the motorola droid thread. Think the link is Act, Droid and Companionlink.

Many many issues with droid and companion link.

Copper Contributor

Thanks Mike. I'm just a little confused how it works via Outlook since we're using Act.