Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 11.0 how to set up laptop<-->desktop

Act 11.0 how to set up laptop<-->desktop

I am a new user of Act 11

Question:  What is the best set up for primary use on a desktop and secondary use on a laptop? 

Details:

1. I spend 70% of my time at my desktop and 30% traveling with my laptop.  I need the Act data available when traveling.

2. Currently using Outlook 2003 SP3 on my desktop.

3. I have Outlook 2003 SP3 on my laptop but do not use it.  I use remote access to my desktop.  Do not always have wireless access.

Tuned Listener

Re: Act 11.0 how to set up laptop<-->desktop

Our company has just migrated from Goldmine to Act and we have a user with a similar situation. Here's how we're handing it.

The user has a laptop upstairs and a desktop in the home office. The laptop goes on the road now and then. We use Outlook 2003 SP3 and QuickAttach email (and any email attachments) to Act contact records.

Install Act on the laptop and desktop (only one license required if you are the only user). Set up an Act sync set for the laptop (to be used when on the road).

When upstairs, use Remote Desktop Connection from the laptop to the desktop to run Act and use Outlook. Because the laptop is only acting like a terminal to the desktop, no sync required.

Prior to going on the road sync the laptop to get the most recent Act info and any attached emails.

On the road, use Act to send email via Outlook and Outlook to read email, leaving a copy on the server. Attach Outlook email to Act if you wish -- though it's easier to leave this until you return to the office.

On return, sync the laptop to capture changes you made to Act. If you sent email via Act to Outlook or attached downloaded email to Act while on the road these will sync and end up on the Desktop's Act as attachments.

Download email using the Desktop's Outlook. Since you left a copy on the server, the Desktop's Outlook will contain a copy of all received email even if you downloaded it on the road. Attach any email that you didn't already attach on the road.

An alternative is to use webmail to read email on the road and CC yourself on anything you send via webmail, but we find using Act and Outlook easier because your sent emails are automatically attached to the contact record.

Re: Act 11.0 how to set up laptop<-->desktop

Thank you for the imput, very helpful.