Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 10 will not reinstall

Act 10 will not reinstall

I was receiving this  error message (Value cannot be null. Parameter name: criteria ) when I tried to add a contact on my computer, I could add the contact if I went through my Palm Treo 700 wx. I tried to reinstall  Act hoping this would fix it, but it got hung up after the uninstall / reinstall.
When I  try to install it now, it starts the install process but after I click on the region option a pop up appears say I have the latest version of Act installed.
I have tried to remove any thing Act related in add/remove programs. I have removed all files or documents i can find. I do not get the option to uninstall when I run the Act CD it just starts to install. I need some help in at least getting Act to uninstall properly so I can re install it. I now think my error message is database related because when I installed Act on an other computer I got the same error when I tried to add a contact.
That computer crashed when i tried to sync with my  Palm Treo, I have been able to uninstall and reinstall on this computer but is won't let me restore my database as it says I need to have an administer do it. When it loads it skips the log on so I don't know get a chance to do the log on password scenario.
As you can tell I am over my head any help would be appreciated.

Re: Act 10 will not reinstall

Okay here is an update. I was able to get Act 10 installed on one computer but cannot get Act link for PPC to uninstall/ install.  I still get the error message when I try to enter a new contact (Value cannot be null. Parameter name: criteria). On the other computer when I try to install it still tells me I have the latest version of Act installed with no option to uninstall.

Is my next step changing some thing in the registry ? If so could some one guide me to how I would find the Act related files in the registry to uninstall. As I have mentioned in my previous post I have uninstall or deleted any thing I can find in the program and document files.
Platinum Elite Contributor

This is a procedure I wrote to get the most clean install possible:
Uninstall any version of ACT! from Windows Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs
Use the Uninstaller.exe from the ACT! KB 19338 (the exe, not the manual uninstall)
Uninstall .Net Framework (all versions) - this does NOT apply to Vista users as .Net 2.0 is part of the OS and can't be uninstalled
Uninstall any MS SQL items from the Control Panel if istill there
Uninstall MSXML Services from Control Panel if it's still there
Perform a Selective restart with MSCONFIG as per ACT! KB 14499
Install .Net 2.0 Framework from MS web site (only for XP, not Vista)- http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en
Manually install MS SQL as per ACT! KB 19386
Install ACT! 10
Install ACT! 10.02 patch if the previous install was the previous build
Restore from Selective Startup Mode with MSCONFIG
Reboot

You might also try the 14-day trial of Handheld Contact for the Treo... much more powerful

Thank you Mike that did the trick. I now have Act installed and working on both my computer and PPC. I am still getting the error message (Value cannot be null. Parameter name: criteria ) when I try to enter a new contact. I have found a work around by duplicating an existing contact and then changing the contact  info, hardly ideal. Any info on fixing this error would be appreciated as I am receiving my new laptop any day now and I don't want to carry the error on to the new PC.
Copper Elite Contributor

if you are using act 2008 10.0.0.237 then, goto tools |preferences | dulpicate checking | uncheck enable duplicate checking this should work else update to 10.0.1

jpk22 wrote:
I am still getting the error message (Value cannot be null. Parameter name: criteria ) when I try to enter a new contact.
Have you updated to 10.01 or 10.02? It hink that's an issue fixed in the patch

Thank you Mike and Karthik.
Unchecking duplicate checking worked. Funny thing is duplicate checking still works. I installed 10.0.2. I guess the update inside Act does not work because I press the check for updates button often and it never showed 10.0.1 or 10.0.2.

I think the 10.01 and 10.02 patches are not in the Check for Updates because in a sync environment all machines need to be updated. And in a business with a number of users, the IT person will not want one user doing the update forcing them to have to update all the others when they might not have the time