Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 10 disconnects from server...

Act 10 disconnects from server...

Ever since installing Act 10 we've had strange, intermittant occurance of Act disconnecting workstations from the server.  I can't find any special thing that is happening before the disconnects, it seems different each time. Today I was disconnect when trying to change Layouts.  Most of the time the workstation computer will have to restart to regain access to the network server (which is where the database is stored) but sometimes everyone will get disconnected and we'll have to restart the server. This is getting frustrating as there seems to be no rhyme no reason.  Appreciate any help.
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Act 10 disconnects from server...

Are you using Trend Micro antivirus?
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

No, using AVG 7.5 Network Edition
Nickel Elite Contributor

The reason I asked, what you describe sounds like a local system resource issue and I have seen that happen when the individual copies of Trend Micro antivirus was used. Other things to check, local workstations that are using XP Home for the OS, only 512 meg RAM with many programs open, swap file settings (I would suggest maxing them), etc.
Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

[ Edited ]

We do have some workstations running XP Home and others running XP Pro. The server is running Pro. Can this really be the cause of the now frequent disconnects? All computers have 1 gig of memory.

A couple of other things. These disconnects seem to happen when we change a layout or write a document most of the time (although not always).  And it will always take a reset of both server and workstation to get back on. 

Message Edited by ferretguy on 05-09-2008 09:30 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

ferretguy wrote:
We do have some workstations running XP Home and others running XP Pro. The server is running Pro. Can this really be the cause of the now frequent disconnects?  All computers have 1 gig of memory.

Unfortunately yes. You did not indicate how many workstations are connected to the server but regardless, the server should have at least 2 gig of RAM. XP even has a setting to allow use of 3 gig RAM when used as a server. If you have more connection than five, especially if it is like seven or eight, you should consider a server OS rather than using XP pro which has a limit of 10 connections (nine plus the server). The XP home version of Windows forces use of simple file sharing and I have experienced many problems when that OS is used in a LAN network environment

I know this isn't real good news but I hope it helps resolve your problems.

Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

That is indeed not good news. That information was not provided to us by the Act salesperson and would've influenced whether or not we purchased the program (which is prehaps why it was not mentioned).  We do have 8 workstations and 1 server. The server has 1 gig memory. Probably the least expensive upgrade.  Well, the boss won't be happy. Thanks for your information. I hope that if we spend the extra $500+ that it does indeed fix the issue.

Here's something strange. The folks at Act online tech support say they have never ever heard of Act disconnecting from the server.  Roy, have you in fact seen or heard of this happening with other folks?
Nickel Elite Contributor

If you mean exactly as you describe it, no. However, it does sound like a resource problem which I have seen. Typically I would see a case where there would be problems in ACT! or I would try to open a different database over the LAN and I would get a message regarding not enough resources. Generally restarting the computer or waiting about half an hour would fix the problem.

Given the description of your setup, I now suspect that the server is where you are depleting resources and additional RAM on the server should help.

Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Tuned Listener

Aloha,

I am now going on two weeks trying to get this problem fixed.  I had to send in my database.  They got it down from about 30 seconds per reschedule to about 7 seconds.  This is still unacceptable.  You can read a lot about what's been going on by reading "Is ACT! really back?" which is listed in these messages.

I've checked Amazaon and found these comments:

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000HLRAJG/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?%5Fencoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Also, check this out:

http://www.contactplus.com/products/freestuff/act.htm

I am so frustrated with ACT!  I hate to have to change software, but it looks as if I have no choice.  

Jeff