Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 10 Start Up Error

Tuned Listener

Act 10 Start Up Error

I am running the following version of ACT, 10.0.3.182, encountering the following problem.

On startup of ACT first time of the day I rreceive an error messaage stating that the system is aunable to find my data base. What I have found is that if I reboot my computer and start up ACT again it will than recognise my data base and loadup.

This problem only surfaced in the last few days. Any ideas on the fix or problem?  By the way my windows based operating system is VISTA.

Tony

Re: Act 10 Start Up Error

I am having the same problem. It has started since the last Tuesday's Windows update. I am running Vista and I have also noticed that Windows is trying to install the same update every day, which is failing.

What I have discovered is that instead of rebooting the PC, I open the Windows Task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) and on the Services tab find MSSQL$ACT7 and right click on it, then select 'Start service'.

I believe that this is a Microsoft SQL Server error and I would welcome any suggestions on how to solve this irritating fault, thanks.

Platinum Elite Contributor

It sounds like the update may have changed the startup behavior of the SQL Server. There are two areas you can check:

Services

- From the Start menu, type "services.msc" in the Search box (Vista) or select Run and type the command in the Open box (XP)

- In the list of services, locate SQL Server (ACT7)

- Right-click on the service and select Properties. In the Properties screen, make sure the value under Startup Type is "Automatic"

- If you have have to change this value, then stop and restart the service

MSConfig

- From the Start menu, type "msconfig" in the Search box (Vista) or select Run and type the command in the Open box (XP)

- When the System Configuration Utility comes up, look under the Services tab, find SQL Server (ACT7), and make sure the checkbox next to it is checked

- Click Apply, then OK

- Reboot the computer

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Super Contributor

The new Security Update for MS SQL 2005 SP3 that came out recently stops SQL trys to apply, fails and then does not restart SQL.  That is why cannot get back into the database and have to restart SQL as described above.  One option is to set MS Updates to notify but do not download.  In this way the update does not continually try to reapply itself and keep stopping SQL.  There is a work around from Microsoft that I am reviewing and has been submitted to Tech Support.

PF

Greig, many thanks for the advice. I have checked both of the settings and they are they are both set correctly.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I am running ACT Version 11.0.0.367 in Windows Vista Home Premium.

The problem started with the last Windows update and one of the updates always fails.

It is listed as:

Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 (KB970892)

I have updates set to install automatically, however, I have just tried to install the update manually and this fails with the error:

Code 737D  Windows update encountered an unknown error

I have searched for information regarding this error, and it appears to be related to a 'previously failed update'.......but I cannot progress any further than this.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Dave

Hi PF, thanks for your response which you must have posted while I was drafting my last reply. I will change the MS updates as you suggest. I would be interested in hearing about the workaround if it's deemed suitable.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Copper Super Contributor

It will not install so just turn auto updates to notify me but do not install automatically until a workaround solution is identified.

PF

Hi all, just a quick update, I have managed to solve the problem. I found this on another forum and I am posting it here in case you might want to try it:

Fix - Security Update for SQL Service Pack 3

Hey all,

If there is no option available in the SQL Server 2005 system configuration to complete the suspended installation, then you should try the fix below:

I copied this from another discussion group and it worked on my computer. I am running XP Professional.

To resolve this issue, do the following:

1. Go to Run, type regedit, and click ok, or press Enter.
2. Back up your registry, if you don't know how to do this, google it...
3. In Regedit, go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL.1\Setup]
[Note that if you have multiple instances of MSSQL installed, the reg key
might be different for you]
4. find the Resume REG_DWORD, and change its decimal value from 1, to 0.
5. install the update, and restart the machine.

If you don't want to install this update using the automatic update
(WUAUCLT), you can download the hotfix directly from microsoft, just google
"download KB970892 ". you will still need to manually change the registy
"Resume" value, or else the hotfix will fail to install.

Best of luck!

Tuned Listener

Greg.

Did the Service bit that was OK.

When I go to MScCONFIG I encounter the following problem.

"You don dot have sufficiant privileges to run SYSCONFIG.

Please run this utility as a user in the Administrator group.

Now when I go to my USER Account I am set up as Administrator how ever my Access Denied "The group membership for..........could not be updated.

Are you able to help?

I am running " Windos Vista Unlimited, service pack 1

Tony