Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 10 Database cannot be opened

Act 10 Database cannot be opened

I have ACT! by Sage for Financial Professionals Version 12.1.0.181x30, Hot Fix 3 which is based on Act10

using the ACTDiag utility I found the following error.

"The database cannot be opened because it is version 661. The Server supports version 612 and earlier. A downgrade path is not supported. "

I have Sql server 2005 Express edition

How do I get the correct version of sqlserver?

The original problem was that my computer repair guy forced shutdown. Then he attempted a lot of things including reinstalling ACT  and sql server.  He did not use the ACT disk and I will have to find it if that is the solution?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 10 Database cannot be opened

Hello a9erfan,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. It looks like the computer repairman installed a lower version of SQL than your database originally using. You will need to uninstall SQL and ACT!, then reinstall from the ACT! installation.

To uninstall SQL, go to your Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs (or Programs and Features), and uninstall all applications referring to Microsoft SQL Server. Also remove (if present) MSXML 6.0 Parser. Uninstall ACT! before you uninstall the SQL components.

Also, be sure to reboot your computer after uninstalling and before you reinstall.

If you need a full install download link for your version, then please send me your ACT! for Financial Professionals 2010 serial via private message in this forum. To send me a private message, click my user name on the left, then "Send this user a private message" on the right.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Sent private message. I followed instructions to the T. Uninstalled Act then SQLServer. Did not fix problem.

Bronze Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Paul,

Since I am the ACC involved in your original setup of this version, I know what the issue is.....

When ACT was previously setup by you, you did some "pre-loading" of software before I got there. You download MS SQL Express 2008 and installed it on your computer, then loaded ACT software and then opened the database. This made ACT link it was a SQL 2008 database. SQL is "backward compatible". The SQL version that comes with this version is SQL Express 2005.

Since your database is tied to SQL 2008 on the backend due to previous "conversion" by you, SQL 2005 installation which is instaled with the ACT install files will not open your database. I spent some time with ACT tech support determining this when I was in your office last year.

I did explain this to you on my last visit. I guess you did not remember. And, I am unaware how to make the database "go back" to a previous version of SQL.

Let me know if I can help further.

Therese "Terry" Williams

ACT Certified Consultant

Best Regards,
Terry Williams
TMW Consulting
Sacramento, CA
tmwilli@tmwconsulting.net
916 396-4302

[ Edited ]

Now it makes sense, but there may yet be hope. SQL version 661 is SQL 2008 (non-R2), which will work with ACT! 2010. You can download this version from Microsoft, do a manual install and you should be able to run your database in it. Some links that may help:

SQL internal version numbers (for your reference):
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/dang/archive/2011/07/17/internal-sql-server-database-version-numbers.aspx

How to manually create the ACT7 instance of SQL 2008 Express:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2519...

SQL 2008 Express download from MS:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=1695

Uninstall ACT! before manually installing SQL. Also remove SQL 2005 first - don't attempt to upgrade the 2005 instance.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

This was great documentation. I followed and got closer but not quite there. Same problem the error message has changed from the 611 to 655. Microsoft must have had another instance of 2008. I looked at the reference page and it should have been 661! On the download SQL page I see 3 versions of SQL I used the 1st and I know the 3rd is not what I want. How about the 2nd? Anoter alternative would be to try to find another version on Cnet. I did find this on the net

SQLServer 2008 R2 Database  version is 661. 
SQLServer 2008 SP2 Database version is 655

from http://go4answers.webhost4life.com/Example/cant-attach-database-version-661-171064.aspx

Looks like I do need the R2 version which makes sence since that is one I uninstalled one of the times I did uninstalls. Which at this point has been too many to count. LOL

ACT! 2010 does not support the R2 version (655). You would need ACT! 2011 or higher. If your database is at version 655 (R2), then I don't believe you are going to be able ti use it with ACT! 2010.

On the download page, you would either use the 1st (64-bit) or 2nd (32-bit that will work on a 64-bit machine) download if you have a 64-bit machine, and use the 3rd download if you have a 32-bit machine.

Greig Hollister

Ok almost there. I no longer get errors from Outlook. However when opening in ACT now get CREATE FILE encountered operating system error 5(Access denied) while attempting to open or create physical file

I checked the file permisssions and security looks like open for everyone except special permissions. Could it be that the default password for SQL Server I used per documentation does not match whatever password  ACT is looking for?