Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 10 (2008): How to synchronise notbeook with desktop computer?

Accepted Solution Solved
Tuned Listener
Accepted Solution

Act 10 (2008): How to synchronise notbeook with desktop computer?

Hi

I have Act 10 (2008) Basic. I ran it currently only on my desktop computer. Now I want to have the possibility also to use it on my Netbook (Win XP SP3) while on the road and synchronise the new entered data from the netbook with my desktop computer (Win XP SP3) as soon as I come back home.So desktop should be the "master".

I have a wireless router at home (Fritzbox FonWlan Model 7270) with which both computers go to the internet wireless. This Wlan Router has also a slot for an USB stick, if that helps. I have not yet any connections between the 2 computers. They are in 2 different rooms, so a cable connection is kind of difficult.

I am the only user for ACT. Nobody else needs access to it. I have also a server from a webhoster, if that is necessary or makes it easier, but this one has only unix on it.

How do I do this synchronisation between the 2 computers? I did not find here in the forum a step by step description. Can anybody help here?

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author snoopy5
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 10 (2008): How to synchronise notbeook with desktop computer?

There are two ways you can do this:

- Network the two machines through your router and sync through a common port (by default 65100)

- Setup a basic VPN connection on both machines and sync via the Internet (easier)

Instructions to setup application sync are in KB Article 15192

Instructions to setup up basic Hamachi VPN for sync are in KB Article 23333

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author snoopy5
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

There are two ways you can do this:

- Network the two machines through your router and sync through a common port (by default 65100)

- Setup a basic VPN connection on both machines and sync via the Internet (easier)

Instructions to setup application sync are in KB Article 15192

Instructions to setup up basic Hamachi VPN for sync are in KB Article 23333

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener

Hi Greig,

thanks for the help. It worked now. I had more trouble in setting up a wireless network with these 2 computers than the whole ACT-sync-stuff Smiley Happy

So I can recommend everybody to make first sure, that your network really works.

If that is the case, the rest is really easy. Just follow the instructions in the help document Greig pointed to. And be sure that your ACT installation on the master (the publisher) is on and running when trying to start a sync from the slave. If ACT is closed on the other computer, the sync will not work.