Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 10.0 worked fine until updates were added. Now I cannaot access my database!

Act 10.0 worked fine until updates were added. Now I cannaot access my database!

This is costing me dearly!

I don't know about firewall stuff. I just want this database back up and running. Now I try but get an error message that states:

The database you are trying to access has been locked by an administrator. Please try again later.

Help!

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Act 10.0 worked fine until updates were added. Now I cannaot access my database!

To unlock a database use the actdiag database utility. It can be accesed from the start menu, choose run, then type in the command actdiag. Click on the databases tab and choose database list. In the list of databases find your database and select it, then right click on it and choose unlock.

Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA

Re: Act 10.0 worked fine until updates were added. Now I cannaot access my database!

Sounds like we may have the same issue. I wasn't aware of any patching pass, but last night, Act wouldn't shut down properly, and this morning I'm getting:

"The database [name] could not be accessed. In order to access your database..." finger pointing at my firewall/LAN which is useless since I'm running local.

Administrative Tools, Services:

SQL Server (ACT7) is Started.

Administrative Tools, Event Viewer

No errors since booting this morning, but this warning looks promising:

"The configuration of the AdminConnection\TCP protocol in the SQL instance ACT7 is not valid."

C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows\ActDiag.exe

(Love the reassuring disclaimer on launch and fact it's not mentioned in the Help troubleshooting)

Reports all the DBs as Online, and mine as Unlocked

So I'm guessing Act somehow messed up its handshake with SQL, which I have no clue how to troubleshoot.

If I knew ACT would involve mucking about in Admin Tools/SQL I doubt I would have bought it. And I'm a geek--my sympathies for the sales types who probably don't even have Admin Tools in their Start menus.

RFS

Hi Brad,

When I follow your instructions this is the message I get at the bottom of the ACT Diagnostics:

: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(ServerInfo serverInfo, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity, SqlConnection owningObject)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, SqlConnection owningObject)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(String host, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Int64 timerStart)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
   at ActDiag.ServerInfo.Ԃ()
   at ActDiag.ServerInfo.ԃ()
   at ActDiag.ServerInfo.get_Databases()
   at ActDiag.FormACTDiag.get_ServerInfoControl()
   at ActDiag.FormACTDiag.Ӱ(Object ө, EventArgs Ӫ)
   at ActDiag.FormACTDiag.Main

It won't allow me to access the database. Based on the time I'm wasting trouble shooting ACT, I would never recommend it to any of my business colleagues. 

Copper Super Contributor

Sounds like both of you have a problem with the ACT instance of SQL. Others may have ideas on troubleshooting this, but I just uninstall and reinstall using the uninstaller utility.

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/fattach_get.php?p_sid=xS...

Make sure you choose the option to remove the ACT instance of SQL, you will need to re-apply the updates.

Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA

If you uninstall and reinstall the program, how safe is the database? After this problem started I have not been able to make a copy of the database and I am concerened because I have over 2100 contacts and if I lose them I am in big trouble because it would take months to reconstruct the contact list. How can I make sure my database is safely protected?

Before you uninstall the entire thing, go into your Services and make sure that SQL Server (ACT7) is set to Started and Automatic.  The other SQL services you have should be Automatic and Started, as well.  You can right click, Properties to set, and Start, restart, etc.