Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! 10.0 has stopped loading

Act! 10.0 has stopped loading

I've run Act! as a stand-alone-laptop for years - upgrading to newer versions along the way.  (I've used the software since the mid 1980's.) Lately while tring to load the program  (Ver. 10.0) I receive the following message:

"The database ______ could not be accessed.  In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available.  It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server."

I don't tie into (and never have) tied into a server but, thinking that ACT! might tie into Sage to check for updates or some other reason, I disabled my Sunbelt Vipre software to no avail.  I even contacted Sunbelt to see if there might be a conflict.  The told me, no, there wasn't.  What's going on?  And, please don't tell me that ver. 10.0 is no longer supported.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act! 10.0 has stopped loading

Check to see if the ACT! instance of the MSSQL service is running.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I'd love to check but have absolutely no idea how or where to find this.  Thanks,  Mark

Right click on My Computer | Manage | Services and Applications | Services | SQL Server(ACT7) 
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Roy,  Thanks for the help.  Everything is enabled as you'd suggested.  Shut down and rebooted (shut down Vipre for good measure). Have received the same error message.  Still unable to load.  Mark

That could be serious. Try opening the ACTdemo database or create a new database. If those work, then you have database problem, if not then you will likely need to reinstall the SQL server.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Elite Contributor

If you can open the Act demo database, or actually, if you can create a _new_ database, but not open the demo, the database files are probably compressed, which causes SQL to not load the database files, and not run, and thus not work.  If you open the folder that the database files are in, and some of the filenames are blue, they are compressed.  To resolve select the files that are blue, right click, properties, and uncheck "compress", hit apply, then ok and then reboot/restart the SQL service mentioned earlier.
Nick Bohne
Effective Solutions, Inc.

I'm not able to either create a new database or open the demo database but I have noticed something rather odd - When I go into My Computer and the "C" drive to look into the Program Files and see what's there I see the following files:  Act, Act 7, Act 8, Act 9, & Act 10.  If I click on any one of those Act Icons, as if I wanted to 'open' the programs in that fashion, I get a message from an outfit named Dot Net Bar Components (www.devcomponents.com) telling me that I'm on a 'trail basis' and asks me if I want to buy the program.  I'm not sure what that's all about.

Also, while I do have compressed Act files (database & etc) they are backups and are not located within the program files, they're in a different location.  None of the files within the actual programs are compressed.