Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 10.0 - Layout Editor Causes Application Shutdown

RGB

Act 10.0 - Layout Editor Causes Application Shutdown

[ Edited ]
Here's an interesting problem.

I'm running ACT! by Sage 2008 (10.0) Version 10.0.1.199

Everything works fine until I exit the program, then I get an error.  Didn't think this was a big deal since I was shutting down anyway, but this morning I noticed whenever I exit the Layout Editor I get an error and the application shuts down.  Now it's a big deal.

Is this a known issue?  Any fixes?

Message Edited by RGB on 03-26-2008 06:54 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Act 10.0 - Layout Editor Causes Application Shutdown

Hi RGB

Are you using any add-ons or custom controls in the layout?
I have noticed that some add-ons that use underlying ActiveX controls don't play nice in .net.
For example, when I developed the web browser add-on to ACT! to show it can be done, I had to do some hacks to make sure I do not get a crash report every time I close ACT!.  The problem is that the web browser was not being destroyed gracefully.  I posted an article on how to get around this issue, but if that is your problem, then the fix has to occur in the add-on code (the fix is rather quick though)

Pierre

Copper Elite Contributor

Could you send the error messsage

RGB

Thanks for your replies to my issue... I figured it out.  I pulled up my event log and found the error messages were related to .NET Framework. I then pulled up my Windows Update log and sure enough, there was an update to .NET Framework that occured the day before these errors began.  I uninstalled the update and then I couldn't get anything to work.  So then I went back to Microsoft and downloaded .Net Framework 2.0, then a security patch for 2.0 which I didn't have before, then the latest and greatest .Net Framework 3.0.  These seems to have resolved the problem.

I'm assuming if you're running .NET Framework 1.X and update it to 2.0 it could result in the problem.  Just make sure you have 3.0.
Platinum Elite Contributor

RGB wrote:
Thanks for your replies to my issue... I figured it out.  I pulled up my event log and found the error messages were related to .NET Framework. I then pulled up my Windows Update log and sure enough, there was an update to .NET Framework that occured the day before these errors began.  I uninstalled the update and then I couldn't get anything to work.  So then I went back to Microsoft and downloaded .Net Framework 2.0, then a security patch for 2.0 which I didn't have before, then the latest and greatest .Net Framework 3.0.  These seems to have resolved the problem.

I'm assuming if you're running .NET Framework 1.X and update it to 2.0 it could result in the problem.  Just make sure you have 3.0.

Framework 3.0 will do nothing for ACT!. The Framework versions don't upgrade each other. They are independent of each other

An application will normally just use the version it was written in. ACT! 7.8 used .Net 1.1 and ACT! 9/10 use .Net 2.0