04-03-2012 08:37 AM
I am getting the infamous (as I have read countless posts) Database cannot be read...please check firewall/ network conenction...
My Setup Specs:
- Windows home server
- VPN setup ON the WHS
- SAGE ACT DB installed on SQL Server 2008 R2 on this server
- Firewall disabled (VPN requires it to be)
I have setup my VPN using the built-in Windows setup to 'Connect to a workplace'. I can access files and data on that server without issue.
So my question is as follows:
1. What is the application name that I need to forward to the server with the ACT! DB on it and what ports does it use?
2. is there another application which loads afterwards if so I will need its name as well as ports used.
3. I also use a handful of add-ons for ACt! one of which is Email synch (to pull emails into client records for contact history etc.) I noted there was an ACtEmail.exe (exe name might be off but it was clearly email related) what ports if any does it use?
Appreciate any help that can be provided.
04-03-2012 03:08 PM
04-03-2012 04:13 PM
firstly thanks for your repsonse.
I am not 100% sur eif you're referring to the Server not being able to resolve the rmeote machines name or the remote machine not being able to resolve the servers name.
I can ping the servers name and I get a ttl response that is well within normal.
04-03-2012 05:29 PM
Make sure the following ports are opened up both ways:
TCP: <dynamically assigned port for ACT!> //you can get this from ActDiag->Server Security
Your problem sounds like a port blocking issue to me.
04-04-2012 12:53 AM
You can also open up for the following exe's as you've suggested as well:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.ACT7\MSSQL\Binn (64bit OS)
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.ACT7\MSSQL\Binn (32 Bit OS)
Ensure that the SQLBrowser if visible.
Accessing the ACT! dB via VPN is not recommended since you will have severe performance issues. I think dB health should be ok since the transact log will ROLLBACK any unsuccessful COMMIT calls, however if you have file attachments the same can not be said and you could get file attachment corruptions.
04-11-2012 12:21 PM
So I wanted to confirm that this issue is not resolved for me. I will reconfirm my setup as well as itemize the steps I have tried.
1. Setup is as follows:
3 Clients using WIN7
1 Server Runnining Win2k3 WHS w/ VPN Enabled & also doubles as the DB server for ACT!
Act Version: Sage ACT! Pro 2011 Version 13.0.401.0, Hot Fix 2
D-Link Router: Forwarded Application/ server ports to my Server for external VPN
opened ports for applications
2. Details of the problem: I am getting the error Database cannot be opened Check network .....
3. Items I have tried to do to correct this issue:
1. I have telneted into my SQL box using the custom port which I was able to extract by looking at the SQL config. manager. It appears that this is the only PORt which the server is listening on. ---This connected in the office
2. The PAD file has been updated to include the IP of my server rather than the host DNS name- confirmed working in the office, still generates the network error outside of the office
3. I can connect to any and all network shares while inside and outside of the office. Read-write permissions
04-12-2012 05:20 AM
This has now been corrected. The windows firewall was preventing the traffic. Despite the fact that I disabled it for some reason that idn't do much. I re-enabled the windows firewall and was able to fin that SAGE ACT was listed twice in the firewall application lists. Enabling it from both public & private networks is what allowed ACt! to connect.