Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Accessing ACT! Pro 2011 on Windows network share from a MacBook Pro running Parallels 6

Accessing ACT! Pro 2011 on Windows network share from a MacBook Pro running Parallels 6

Hi
I'm currently using Sage ACT! Pro 2011 Version 13.0.401.0, Hot Fix 2 on a Windows 7 notebook.
I have just bought a MacBook Pro with Parallels 6. I have the ACT! files on a network share drive that I have accessed from the MacBook Virtual PC. However, when I attempt to log into the ACT! database from the MacBook Pro, I get the following error message (I changed the database name because I'm shy :-).
Can anyone advise what I need to do to solve this problem? These network shares are working fine for all other programs.
Error message
Cannot find database supplemental folder <databasenamechanged>-database files in this location Notebook2. This could be problem with the share, or the folder may not exist. Pleas contact the administrator of your database.

Silver Contributor

Re: Accessing ACT! Pro 2011 on Windows network share from a MacBook Pro running Parallels 6

ACT needs to be installed on the server and then shared out. YOu can't just copy the files to a network drive. It will not work.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Re: Accessing ACT! Pro 2011 on Windows network share from a MacBook Pro running Parallels 6

Thanks Jon, ACT! Is installed and successfully accessed by two Windows (XP and 7) computers via this network share. Does the MacBook running Parallels require a different configuration to access the shared Database folder and subfolders?
John
Silver Contributor

No, can you  browse the network to the database files?  Able to create edit, delete a file on the network drive?

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Bronze Super Contributor

How about a name resolution issue in the VM?

Platinum Super Contributor

John,
There wasn't any text displayed in your last response. You may have upgraded to Internet Explorer 9. To resolve this you will need to set the Community web site to 'Compatibility View' in IE9. To do this: access the Community and click on the 'Compatibility View' icon to the right of the web address field.
Greg Martin
Sage

My apology for using the wrong browser. I'm back on track with the 64-bit version of Firefox. Hopefully that works.

To answer previous questions:

- I can obtain full access to the shared Windows drive (this process became a lot easier after I mapped the Windows drives using the MacOS X Finder), so they are fully available through My Computer in the Parallels Virtual PC.

To test the suggestion about name resolution, I replaced Notebook2 with the machine's IP address, but received the same error message (with te IP address instread of Notebook2).

I have demonstrated that ACT! on the Virtual PC is working fine by copying the database to the local Mac folder.I have removed and instated the Database Share through ACT! and checked there are no double shares created.

However, a clue may be that when I attempt to access teh specific ACT database folder through Finder in MacOS, I get the error message

"The operation can't be completed. An unexpected error occured - error code 8059).

I will be grateful for any suggestions that might resolve this issue becuase it is a major bugbear for me at the moment.

After rebooting the Mac, the 8059 error disappeared but the original access to the ACT! database problem persists.

Platinum Super Contributor

Here is an article with additional steps to try: KB Article 19876

Greg Martin
Sage