Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Accessing ACT! 2007 Database in Reintalled Program

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Accessing ACT! 2007 Database in Reintalled Program

The original computer I installed ACT on died, but I was able to recover files from the hard drive. I reinstalled ACT! 2007 on my new computer, but haven't been able to figure out how to open the original database. I do not have a backup file, just the originals. I'm assuming there are multiple files and settings that need to be just right---and am hoping that it's possible to do without a backup file! Thanks for any guidance you can give me.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by dlunceford (Moderator)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Accessing ACT! 2007 Database in Reintalled Program

Delete the PAD file.  It is just a pointer file and is probably looking for the old computer.  After you delete the PAD file, open the ADF from within ACT!.  In the open database window, change files of type to ACT! Database (*.ADF).

View solution in original post

All Replies

What files were you able to recover?  The main file that you need is the ADF.

[ Edited ]
I have the PAD, ADF, and ALF files with the database name, plus the subdirectory database files (with templates, reports, etc.). I should have access to all of the files from the old hard drive, so if there are any other files that aren't obviously related (with the database name), I ought to have them too.
Message Edited by andreab on 05-04-2009 11:15 AM

Moved dmartino's reply to own thread.

Solution
Accepted by dlunceford (Moderator)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Delete the PAD file.  It is just a pointer file and is probably looking for the old computer.  After you delete the PAD file, open the ADF from within ACT!.  In the open database window, change files of type to ACT! Database (*.ADF).

It worked!!! Thank you so much!

I am having a very similar problem of a system failure and the person doing the repair was able to recover the programs and data. I followed the instructions posted in this thread. I have found the ADF file, removed the PAD file but when I go to open the database I get an error saying the database can not be accessed and am told to disable firewall software on the computer which I did. This is not on a server.

Thanks for any assistance. 

I don't know if this made a difference or not, but one thing I tried before I posted here was creating a new database. When that worked, I looked to see what directory it was putting the database files in and moved the old files (the ADF and ALF files and the subdirectory folders) into the same directory.

I gave that a try but I got a different error message saying the file was in use even though ACT was closed