Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Access to ACT database from another Windows (XP) user account on the same laptop.

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Elite Contributor
Accepted Solution

Access to ACT database from another Windows (XP) user account on the same laptop.

My laptop is my work computer which I do everything on. I have been using ACT9 (1 licence) for 3+ years now. The problem is when I take my laptop to visit clients, I don't want to work in my own Windows XP (administrator) account, there is too much stuff in it, it takes too long to load etc, and also for security and privacy.

What I want to do is set up another Windows user account on my laptop which just has the essentials in it and can access my ACT database.

How can I set up my Act database to be acessable to me from 2 Windows user accounts on the same computer?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author GrahamS
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Access to ACT database from another Windows (XP) user account on the same laptop.

To move the database, you have to use Backup | Restore | Restore As - as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1981...

You could use All Users... or just create a folder off C: like C:\ACTData - then restore to there.

That way you avoid the security that Windows puts in Docs folders.

After moving it, delete the old one so you don't use it accidently.

View solution in original post

All Replies

Re: Access to ACT database from another Windows (XP) user account on the same laptop.

As long as both users have full access to the database folder, you just need to open the same PAD file... 

Copper Elite Contributor

Thanks Mike.

The location of the Act folders may be an issue.

I have an ACT!2007 folder on the C drive which appears to be the installation files.

Then there is an ACT/ACT for Windows 9 for in All Users /Application Data which basically has nothing in it.

All my ACT files are in: Documents and Settings/Graham/Application Data/ACT/Act for Windows 9

and: Documents and Settings/Graham/My Documents/ACT/Act for Windows 9.

The programme files are in C/Program Files/ACT.

Do I simply move the ACT files under Graham to the equivalent locations under All Users?

Solution
Accepted by topic author GrahamS
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

To move the database, you have to use Backup | Restore | Restore As - as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1981...

You could use All Users... or just create a folder off C: like C:\ACTData - then restore to there.

That way you avoid the security that Windows puts in Docs folders.

After moving it, delete the old one so you don't use it accidently.

Copper Elite Contributor

Awesome Mike, exactly what I needed to know!!! Thanks very much.