Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Access denied when running SQLServer Express Backupfix

Tuned Listener

Access denied when running SQLServer Express Backupfix

Hello all,

I have a remote ACT user who had trouble synching with our main ACT database.  The computer in question showed a "2601" error when synching, which according to the knowledgebase indicated a problem with SQL Server.  I've run into this problem before, and attempted to implement the same solution, namely running the SQL2008R2_Express_BackupFix batch file to repair the SQLServer instance on the computer.  This time, however, I got an "access denied" error, and an indication that the target machine was refused.  The actual text is below:

"System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

Type in your database name

DanC

HResult 0x274D.  Level 16, State 1

TCP Provider:  No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

Sqlcmd:  Error:  Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 10.0:  A network-related or instance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server.  Server is not found or not accessible.  Check if instance name is correct and if SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections.  For more information see SQL Server Books Online..

Sqlcmd:  Error:  Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 10.0 : Login timeout expired.

Press any key to continue..."

I press any key and the command prompt closes.  The database name is the name of the database on the user computer.  I tried again with the name of the master database, but got the same result.  The server is online and is set to receive incoming syncs.  In fact, no settings were ever changed.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?  This user is on the road most of the time, so opportunities to synch up are sporadic.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Access denied when running SQLServer Express Backupfix

As you can tell, 'System 5' errors are permission based errors. 

Some things to try:

- If Vista/Windows 7, use 'Run as administrator'.  To do this: right click on the bat file and select 'Run as administrator' > continue with steps if no errors presented.

- Is service 'SQL Server Browser' running.  Under Windows Services, check 'SQL Server Browser', right-click > select Start, if not started.  Then attempt to run bat file.

Greg Martin
Sage