Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Access Denied for ACT 2006

I have had this version for a few years and all of the sudden when I try to log in it says "ACCESS DENIED".  I also noticed that my contact pad is there.  I tried to un-install ACT and re-install it but my computer won't let me.

Any ideas?  Do you think I might have some type of virus?  ACT is my lifeline and need to get it up and running? I have a co-worker that also shares my license and is ACT is working on her computer.

Thank you.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Access Denied for ACT 2006

Hello Junebride68,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

You mention your co-worker shares your license - does that mean that you both access the same database?

If you are using the same database, have her check your username through the Tools > Manage Users option.   You may want to have the co-worker reset your password (also under the Manage Users option).

Greg Martin
Sage

I did try that - but my co-worker does not have access to the Manage Users option.  Any other ideas?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Junebride68,
What is the full and exact error message you are receiving when you try to access your database? Also were there any updates or changes that you know of that were made to your computer or to your Windows login?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

It just says " Access denied".  I backed up the database from the other computer and  I tried restoring the dateabase from the other computer but is says"Windows installer service could not be installed - this can occur ifyou are running windows in a safe mode or if Windows installer is not correctly installed.  I checked to make sure that Windows IS NOT running in safe mode.  

Thank you again for your help!

Any other suggestions on being able to get access to ACT?  My computer is the administrator.  My co-worker who shares my license does not have the permission to look up the password.

Platinum Elite Contributor

"Access denied" sounds more like a Windows error than an ACT! one. Can you tell from the error message box if this is an ACT! error? It sounds more like you don't have permissions within Windows to access the file, especially since you also stated earlier that you could not uninstall either. Try this:
- Click your Windows Start button, then choose Run from the Start menu
- In the Open box, type "control userpasswords2" (without the quotes)
- If you get an access denied error, then you probably have a permissions issue
- If you get a list of users, then find your user name and see if you are an Administrator

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Trying to re-install ACT 2006

I finally got my computer fixed and was able to uninstall ACT 2006.  I am trying to re-install and did turn off my firewalls but it is still giving me an error.  Any ideas on what to do?

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Trying to re-install ACT 2006

If you have yet to get Act! 2006 installed, what is the error you are receiving?

Also, can you tell us what was done to resolve the Access Denied issue?

Greg Martin
Sage