Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Access Act! 2010 Database after reflashing SSD used as System Drive

Access Act! 2010 Database after reflashing SSD used as System Drive

Is there any easy way of access an Act 2010 database after the firmware on an SSD used as the System drive has been updated? After the SSD has been reflashed and the PC rebooted Act! 2010 gives an error message starting "The database abc could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify....

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Access Act! 2010 Database after reflashing SSD used as System Drive

[ Edited ]

Hello cycle,
Is the ACT! database local to that machine? Did the reflash cause the machine name of the PC to change? If the database is local, then go into the Services and make sure that the SQL Server (ACT7) service is started.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

[ Edited ]

Thank you for your reply.

The database is local to the PC.

No it makes no changes to the PC's or Disc's names but it does change the disk signature or unique identifier written by Windows to the disc.

The SQL Server (ACT7) service is started.

I believe the problem stems from the changed Windows disk signature or unique identifier,

I guess one approch (if one remembers) is to run Diskpart and note the original disc signature before reflashing the SSD and then reinstating the original signature with Diskpart again after the PC has rebooted after the reflash.

Copper Elite Contributor

Can you open any other ACT! Databases, such as the demo database?  Can you create a new database?

Depending on the outcome of those 2 tests, we'll have a better idea of how to help you.

Mark Hammer
ACT! Fanatic

Mark

Thank you for the reply.

I can do a "Restore as" from a backup of the database and rename the newly restored database to avoid a name conflict with the problem database and then carry on as before, but I was hoping for a simpler more user friendly solution to the Disc signature being changed and avoid the database rename as then I have to reset Companion Link and the syncronisation to my phone.

So yes I can open databses and also create new databases

Copper Elite Contributor

Ok,

Try this:

Instead of opening the PAD file when you open ACT!, try opening the ADF file.  In the open dialog you can choose the type of database to open (PAD, ADF and DBF files).

Opening the ADF might fix everything for you.

Mark Hammer
ACT! Fanatic

Mark

Thank you for the reply, I tried deleting the PAD and opening the ADF file but it gave the same error messages

Copper Elite Contributor

Time to restore your backup file.  Your only other option would be to try database repair which can be very expensive.

Mark Hammer
ACT! Fanatic

Mark

I used my backup, but the problem is that I have to do a Restore As and use a new database name as Act thinks the PC has changed.

This means that any syncronisations set up also have to be reset up. As SSD's become more common this is something that Sage will need to review

Ian