Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

AUDIT TRAIL AND OR RESTRICT DELETIONS TO ADMINISTRATORS ONLY

Avid Listener

AUDIT TRAIL AND OR RESTRICT DELETIONS TO ADMINISTRATORS ONLY

I have a customer that only wants to allow Administrators the ability to delete a contact, company or Opportunity.  In all cases they want an audit trail with the details of what was in that contact/company/opportunity.

This is not the first customer to ask me this question.  With the stealing of sales people and products, there is a great concern with no one deleting any data.

Any ideas?

I've search the forums, and support to no avail. It seems that deleting is a welcome feature, versus one to be feared.  I come from the accounting world where everything is tracked and you really can't delete anything, it is just moved  to a 'you can't see me now' category, but it is still there.

Maybe a tool that tracks these changes?

DBS
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: AUDIT TRAIL AND OR RESTRICT DELETIONS TO ADMINISTRATORS ONLY

Using Act! Premium, you can remove the ability to delete contacts, groups, companies and opportunities for Standard users (managers and admins always can delete).  This will also remove the ability for them to delete notes and histories (uncompleted, scheduled activities can always be erased).

As far as an audit trail of deleted contact records - the names of contacts deleted are always logged in the history of the contact record of the (admin in this case) user who did the deletion.  It will NOT contain everything contained for that record, just the name.  Keep in mind, even if it did record ALL of the field data for a deleted contact, it still would not have all of the linked/child records and the data that they contained (notes, histories, relations, etc.), I'm sure you can imagine the complexities of attempting to make that work!

Deleted oppties or groups or companies do not create a history entry.

Your best approach is to come up with a process whereby your end users can flag a primary record type as a "delete request"  (custom field likely). 

The, on a scheduled, regular basis, your admin user makes an up to the minute back up of the database, which should be archived for as long as audit is wanted.  Using a report or a custom dashboard, the admin user reviews the listing of the various records to be deleted of each type (contacts, companies, oppties, etc.), printing in some fashion (pdf, paper, whatever) showing the records that are going to be deleted.  Then he/she processes the deletions.

The reports show what was deleted during what period and if need be, an archived backup from that time can be pulled and restored to find the original record.

This is a general framework.  You could throw in some addons that might simplify and/or further automate

Avid Listener

Scott, thants for the response.

I was aware of these options. Coming from the Accounting software side, I was looking for a lot more than this.

When it comes to Deletions, if you remove the feature it prevents other areas from being accessed.  As such, the 7 or so categories that are currently available to discern security has become inadequate.

I would like to see a centralized Auditing function where 'who logged in' when, when they logged out, what did the touch, etc.

Again, in the Accounting software world this is a requirement just to come to the table.  Why is it so important for ACT!. Well, stealing and accountability are now at the doorstep of the Sales and customer service world. For years it was "If you make your numbers, I don't care."  Today, managers want to know how many 'touches' their team is making, and to whom, and to about what.

The current ACT! 'History' works if you want to go on an Easter Egg hunt, but it does not centralize the audit/tracking/who did what feature.

Now, I'll be the first to say it might be there, I've not found it nor has anyone come up with an 'Ah Ha!'

DBS
Bronze Elite Contributor

DBS

Realistically, if the level of auditing detail you describe is important then ACT! is not the product. While SQL transaction log would record the detail I wouldn't expect Sage would see ACT!'s price point as worthy of the development work to deliver a user utility to manage that  level of auditing detail.  

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Avid Listener

Maybe,

In under 30 minutes I was able to figure out that adding one table, one plugin (simple)  and write a report via oledb20, that I couldaccomplished this objective. 

ACT! has more than the capability and need in today's world, even at this price point.

If it was and extensive re-write, then I would agree with you completely. I believe that we are seeing the maturation of the customer, the move to more accountability, and the maturation of ACT! with expanded functionality. With this growth the finer details will be brought out and incorporated. This is just a feature that is not there yet.

But, given the relative ease I'm sure it will be.

At least I'll offer it by next week.

Thanks for your insight.

DBS