Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACt Pro v21, some data missing!

Highlighted

ACt Pro v21, some data missing!

A client of mine uses ACT! Pro v21 and he's just noticed that most of his data (history, for example) is from around October 2019 to last week is missing from his database.

The only strange thing that's happened was that he encountered an error last week using Topline Designer, resulting in a crash of the program. We couldn't get back into ACT! because it said the database was locked.  The advice was to log in with an administrator account, but his account is an administrator account. 

I restored his .adf and .alf files from backups from just before the error.  The database opened fine, and it wasn't until a few days later that the missing data was noticed.  I had restored those files based on ACT! documentation that said the database itself was the .adf file.

The only other thing I notice (and this is leading me to wonder if it's an SQL issue) is that if I run the ACT! backup under the file menu, it fails with an error that ACT says is a SQL issue.  The program they suggest to run to fix it also fails.

They've been adding new data to the database over the past few days despite the issues, so I'm hoping that's OK.

Anyone ever encountered an issue where just *some* data from ACT! was missing?  What did you do?

Thanks.

Dave

Highlighted
Silver Contributor

Re: ACt Pro v21, some data missing!

The only thing I can suggest is using ACTDIAG to unlock and repair the original file. Take care not to try and run on the same computer as the new files from the restored database if it has the same database name. If successful you could then merge the 2 databases. 

ACTDIAG is installed as part of the ACT install and is actdiag.exe   Link on how to use below. 

https://help.act.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024409513-How-To-Use-The-Act-Data-Diagnostic-Tool-ACTDIAG-...

Highlighted

Re: ACt Pro v21, some data missing!

Sorry - just noticed your reply - thanks!  Unfortunately it looks like the PC that hosts the database is having both SQL and .net issues, so the problems seem to be a bit deeper.

Dave