Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACt 2008 - Creating database to a new PC from a backup

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

ACt 2008 - Creating database to a new PC from a backup

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me with this... probably something simple but just cannot put my finger on it.

I've just updgraded to 2x new PC's (now using Vista from XP) and i need to transfer the ACT DB's over (x2). I have one DB for current marketing and one for old 'non marketing' contacts.

I've ensured that the newly installed act is the same version as the one I created the backup from (had this problem before) but i'm tearing my hair out trying to get the DB unpacked in the new PC and then able to create a remote DB for the other PC.

******side note: does anyone know how to unpack to a DB of the same name. ie. i've tried unpacking to June_2009_DB and 2009_June_DB, but even though i've deleted both of them through my attempts to try and unpack a DB that works, i now cannot unpack anything else called June_2009_DB etc.   any thoughts?? ******

alternatively, can anyone direct me how to create the main DB from one of the remote ones - i've got the old main DB to sync with one of the new PC's... now if only I can 'copy' the main db to one of the new PC's or simply set the DB on the new PC to become the main DB it would solve my problem.

Help!

tearing my hair out and any help is much appreciated!

-Nik

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author alliancefp
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACt 2008 - Creating database to a new PC from a backup

Hello Nik,

Just want to make sure that we differentiate between "unpacking" and "restoring". As I understand you are trying to restore a backup of a database on one machine and then create a remote database from that restored backup to unpack on another machine.

When restoring the backup to first machine, make sure you are using the Restore As option. This will ask you to name the restored database and assign a location. Make sure that the name you use for the database is not already in use on that machine.

When creating the remote database for the second machine, it is OK to use the same name as the Publisher database, although it is better to use a different name so you can more easily tell the two databases apart. One more note, you said you tried the "2009_June_DB" as a name for the database. This will not work as an ACT! database name cannot start with a number.

You also mentioned that you suing Vista machines. With Vista, when you open ACT!, instead of double-clicking the program icon you will want to right-click on the icon and choose Run As Adminstrator. An alternative would be to disable User Account Control (UAC). The following Knowledgebase article provides instructions for doing this:

How to Disable User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista®

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author alliancefp
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello Nik,

Just want to make sure that we differentiate between "unpacking" and "restoring". As I understand you are trying to restore a backup of a database on one machine and then create a remote database from that restored backup to unpack on another machine.

When restoring the backup to first machine, make sure you are using the Restore As option. This will ask you to name the restored database and assign a location. Make sure that the name you use for the database is not already in use on that machine.

When creating the remote database for the second machine, it is OK to use the same name as the Publisher database, although it is better to use a different name so you can more easily tell the two databases apart. One more note, you said you tried the "2009_June_DB" as a name for the database. This will not work as an ACT! database name cannot start with a number.

You also mentioned that you suing Vista machines. With Vista, when you open ACT!, instead of double-clicking the program icon you will want to right-click on the icon and choose Run As Adminstrator. An alternative would be to disable User Account Control (UAC). The following Knowledgebase article provides instructions for doing this:

How to Disable User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista®

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Hi Greig,

yes, sorry I should have been absolutely clear.

I am using the "restore as" option to restore from a 'back up' of the database done from my old machine, then trying to create a remote database (which i've tried to save locally, on a NAS drive, and on the remote PC directly).

Also, it was my mistake on the post last night regarding the naming of the DB; I havent yet used "2009_June_DB" ...  ive tried using various names like test_db ,  test_June_db    test_2009_June_db    etc; all to no avail.

Point of note however; I reconnected my old PC last night and successfully performed "restore as" and "create remote database"  -- so there is nothing corrupted with the DB.

Thank you for your insight for "Run as admin" i'll give this a try......... have I mentioned yet that i hate vista?   Hanging out for Windows 7 !!

thanks

Nik

Dear Greig,

Your solution worked - for anyone else out there having the same problem - the solution is to open ACT as "Run as Administrator"

thanking you very much, i was up until 3am this morning working on this.

cheers

Nic