Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACTOLEDB2 crashes my Access app when selecing Activities

ACTOLEDB2 crashes my Access app when selecing Activities

We have an MS Access app which we have used for several years - it manages the Quotes and Orders for us.

A while ago, our now estranged sales person advised that ACT would be better suited to the on-the-road aspect of being a sales person, so we purchased ACT and populated it with our Access data, as well as other leads that were acquired.

I was searching for a method of reading the ACT data so that users of the MDB application could see what was transpiring with the ACT lead generation, etc...and I discovered ACTOLEDB.

I use a UDL file to connect with, via an ADO recordset:

[oledb]
; Everything after this line is an OLE DB initstring
Provider=ACTOLEDB2.1;Data Source=C:\......1.pad;User ID=Me;Password=(*******);Persist Security Info=True

I found and example of stitching things together and started reading the data.

I can SELECT * FROM  (Contact, Company, and History) and things are fine. I haven't tried Notes yet.

However....when I SELECT * FROM ACTIVITY, VBA crashes and closes my MDB app.

I suspect it is a security issue - I am not the ACT database manager, just a user.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance,

.q

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: ACTOLEDB2 crashes my Access app when selecing Activities

In some cases the ACT OLE DB reader requires you list the fields you are looking for rather then the "*" ( all fields)

Select ActivityType, OccurTime FROM ACTIVITY

This is because the OLE reader is building some bridge tables such as Activity to Contact and using the * all causes issues.

Hope this helps

- Jim Durkin

Thank you Jim.  I tried with some field names and it seems to work ok...although...I retrieved 77 rows from the Activity table, and it seems there should be more.  I did not filter the selection in any way - are all the activities in the ACTIVITY table?

Am I correct in assuming that the ACTIVITYID field there is a GUID which relates to the same field name in the CONTACT_ACTIVITY table, through which I can get the CONTACTID GUID from the CONTACT table?

.d

Bronze Super Contributor

Not sue why your count woudl be off without seeing the data and sql command.

Yes, the ACTIVITYID is the pk ( Primary key)

-- Jim