Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT2010 installation scenarios

Tuned Listener

ACT2010 installation scenarios

Can anyone please point me to an online discussion/description of installing ACT2010 on a server.

Background: We're long-time users of ACT6 but forced very reluctantly (because ACT6 does all we need) to upgrade to ACT2010. We're a small business that needs to run just two ACT-licenced PCs, using ACT's IM to share mailboxes (because we don't run Exchange and hence can't use Outlook). Hitherto we've had the ACT database and mailboxes on a mirrored NAS drive and that's all served us perfectly well.

However as a result of a fatal PC crash and consequential move to Vista on its replacement PC we're having to move to ACT2010, which means we're obviously going to have to host SQL Server somewhere. What I was hoping to find was some documentation that runs through pros and cons of different approaches to doing this.

Although we only need to run two ACT PCs, there's no guarantee that one of them will be switched on when the other needs to run ACT. So the solution seems to be to run SQL server (and ACT?) on a (PC) LAN server, which is on 24/7. I'm trying to figure out just how to do this. Some questions include:

1. AIUI I can do this OK with just two ACT licences, ie one each on the two PCs that are actively running ACT rather than acting as a data server?

2. What's the simplest way of doing the server install - just install ACT there? ACT itself will presumably time out when it's not activated. But I'm guessing that the SQL server install that presumably happens along with the ACT install will just keep running?

3. Even if SQL Server is running on the server, presumably I could still place the actual database files on our NAS drive to take advantage of the real-time mirroring that this offers. But maybe this is not advisable because an increased chance of data corruption (?), though I've no idea whether this is a serious risk or not, or maybe performance issues (but I'd guess that this would be unlikely given our relatively modest set-up). any pointers here please?

John Dann

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT2010 installation scenarios

prodata wrote:

Can anyone please point me to an online discussion/description of installing ACT2010 on a server.

http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/02/sharing-act-network-or-sync.html

Background: We're long-time users of ACT6 but forced very reluctantly (because ACT6 does all we need) to upgrade to ACT2010. We're a small business that needs to run just two ACT-licenced PCs, using ACT's IM to share mailboxes (because we don't run Exchange and hence can't use Outlook). Hitherto we've had the ACT database and mailboxes on a mirrored NAS drive and that's all served us perfectly well.

You can use Outlook without Exchange... it operates fine that way.

Although we only need to run two ACT PCs, there's no guarantee that one of them will be switched on when the other needs to run ACT. So the solution seems to be to run SQL server (and ACT?) on a (PC) LAN server, which is on 24/7. I'm trying to figure out just how to do this. Some questions include:

1. AIUI I can do this OK with just two ACT licences, ie one each on the two PCs that are actively running ACT rather than acting as a data server?

It's licensed per username in the database, not per machine.

2. What's the simplest way of doing the server install - just install ACT there? ACT itself will presumably time out when it's not activated. But I'm guessing that the SQL server install that presumably happens along with the ACT install will just keep running?

The SQL engine starts when Windows starts, even if the PC/server isn't logged in

3. Even if SQL Server is running on the server, presumably I could still place the actual database files on our NAS drive to take advantage of the real-time mirroring that this offers. But maybe this is not advisable because an increased chance of data corruption (?), though I've no idea whether this is a serious risk or not, or maybe performance issues (but I'd guess that this would be unlikely given our relatively modest set-up). any pointers here please?

No, that is not an option. being a client/server application, the database must be on a local volume to the server

John Dann

Tuned Listener

Thanks for the prompt reply - I'll start reading!

Just on the Outlook/IM point: Although we have just two users, we do need to share mailboxes across both users - ie to have a single shared set of mailboxes dealing with sales, support etc according to which of us is online at any given time. I'd always understood that this was impossible with Outlook in the absence of Exchange. Am I wrong?

To sync Outlook without Exchange, this might help: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.asp

I haven't used it myself, but I have heard that it's ok

Copper Super Contributor

Ever think about running Windows XP via a VMware image and installing ACT 6 on that?  I've run this very successfully on my Vista pc for quite some time.

If you've got enough RAM and hardware to operate VMware successfully, you'd probably find ACT! 2010 a much better product