07-20-2013 09:22 AM
I'm trying to upgrade from ACT!2010 on Windows 7 to ACT! 2013 on the same PC.
The upgrade download file run and installed just fine, but couldn't convert my existing database or even create a new one. I noticed that the upgrade process installed SQL 2008. When trying to convert my database, it gave an error message about data base schema and SQL 2008 not being backwards compatible with SQL 2005 -- thanks, Microsoft!
I removed ACT! 2013 and SQL 2008, and reinstalled 2010 and ACT! SQL 2005. Nothing lost (Sage -- thanks for great backup/restore utilities), but would still like to upgrade and be able to use the new features in 2013.
I assume that I will need to convert my SQL 2005 database to SQL 2008 somehow before trying to upgrade again.
Any suggestions on how I can can proceed, please?
My thanks and very best regards to all who reply, Greg.
07-20-2013 10:01 AM
ACT! 2010 didn't have native support for SQL 2008. It was possible to use ACT! 2010 with SQL 2008 but required manual configuring of the ACT!7 instance of the SQL server. ACT! 2011 and later do support SQL 2008.
07-20-2013 12:13 PM
Some troubleshooting ideas I found:
1. I would test the database first and make sure there isn't anything wrong with it by running the diagnostic, as this article explains: http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11984/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzc0MzQ2NDg4L...
2. Per the Knowledgebase - It is recommended to uninstall the previous version of ACT! 2005 or higher through the Add\Remove Programs (Windows XP, Server 2003) or Programs and Features (Windows Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008) function in your Windows Control Panel before installing Sage ACT! 2013. After you have installed the Act! 2013 you can then attach the 2005 database and it should update at that time. See article: http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30313/~/how-to-upgrade-to-sage-act!-2013-fr...
Simplesoft Solutions Inc.
07-20-2013 02:10 PM
Thank you for the suggestions.
In this case, the database is fine. I have the ACT scheduler set to back up hourly and I manually run the diagnostic every Friday afternoon. After I reinstalled ACT2010, the database worked fine and no information was lost. I ran the diagnostic anyway, and it didn't find anything wrong.
Removing the older version of ACT first might be something to try, but I'll have to wait until I have a free day to try it. It took 6 hours to upgrade, remove the upgrade and re-install the older versions of ACT and SQL -- in other words, to get back to where I started!
Thanks again, Greg.
07-20-2013 03:34 PM