Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT2009, editing layout, lost birthdates

ACT2009, editing layout, lost birthdates

I was using design layout to edit my birthdate locations.  I wanted to move them to a new tab.  So, I cut and pasted them to the new tab.  All looked ok, but when I save and went to view the tab, there was no field for birthdate on the screen.  So, I went back to design layout and I could see the field there, but no description in the field.  So, I deleted the field and tried to reinsert it, but the birthdate field is not an option anymore.  Where did it go?  Also, the "Age" field cannot be cut from the original tab.  How do I move it?
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: ACT2009, editing layout, lost birthdates

This one is an easy one to trip you up...  Thankfully an easy fix to.

When you cut and paste fields in the layout editor, the link to the data field that is to display in the control is not maintained.  In other words, when you pasted the fields to the new location, they are now just like empty placeholders waiting for you to tell Act! what field(s) you want to display.  They will display in the editor, but since there is no data specified, at runtime, they are invisible.

To rectify this, make sure that the Properties panel is open in the designer (press F4 to toggle properties on/off).  Select the first field to be set.  In the Properties panel, select the proper field name in the Field Value property.  Repeat for all other moved fields.

Save layout. 

Re: ACT2009, editing layout, lost birthdates

I tried that.  The problem is that the fields I am missing don't show up on the Field Value list anymore.  It is like they are still on another tab, but I can't see them anywhere? 

I know the fields still exist as if I go to the default layout, they are there with valid data in them.

Now what?