Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT11 email setup

ACT11 email setup

I upgraded from ACT9 to ACT11 specifically because ACT9 would not work with email on

Vista, and the need to use non-standard ports for email, and SSL, etc., which is pretty

ubiquitous nowadays.

In other words, it looks like ACT11 lacks the necessary options to allow the ACT email client

to communicate with POP servers via SSL (like what most want now). Also, it seems to

want to use the same old port for sending email that nobody uses anymore (27?) because

nobody allows email relaying over open ports.

I had expected that Sage would haverealized this and made the email client actually work

with Vista. If this is not true, thenI've just wasted my upgrade money.

Too bad, I've already activated this copy, it'd be nice if I could unactivate it.

Any ideas out there?

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: ACT11 email setup

Sorry for the misinformation, but the ACT! product never indicated that "Windows Mail" was a supported email option, which is what Vista utilizes.  This replaced Outlook Express which was part of Windows XP. 

<<http://www.act.com/2009/system/>>

Omitting support for Windows Mail on Vista was not an oversight, but you may certainly request the support of this feature:

<http://www.act.com/community/feature/index.cfm>

I understand that your primary reason for upgrade was for email usage, but I think that the move to upgrade was a wise one, as the 11.x product you have now is that much more mature, especially in terms of running on Vista as an operating system.

thanks

Matthew McFadden

[ Edited ]

I don't particularly care whether they support Windows Mail (tho I would think it would if it's advertised as "Vista Compatible" and Vista no longer supports Outlook Express). All I want is *some* email client that works with, say, gmail. I'm not picky, the one in ACT is just fine. But the problem is (unless I've missed the solution) is that I'm not able to select SSL or alternate ports or anything which makes the email facility competely useless for anybody unless you can make some kind of alternative suggestion that I've not stumbled across yet. *That's* what I was expecting. How do I hook it up to gmail, for instance?

Also, there's the startup time (other post) that's very unimpressive as well.

Aside from that, ACT9 did everything else I wanted it to do because I'm an extremely light user

And I never noticed the startup problem in ACT9 - 13 minutes is a long time - I timed it.

Is there any way I could 'unactivate' it and then sell it to somebody else who needs it?

I do feel 'had', but it's not your fault - seems to me that ACT11 was not advertised accurately.

Message Edited by paulkinzelman on 02-15-2009 05:29 PM
Nickel Elite Contributor

I am sorry you are disappointed with the product.  I have nothing to do with Sales side of this, I am only interested in trying to help you with some technical issue based on your description, mainly, to see if there is something we can do in terms of development to make the product better. 

The product requirements specify Vista but also specify the email clients that will work.  GMAIL is not on the list, nor is HOTMAIL or YAHOO for that matter.  Internet mail is listed for the ACT! email client, but you will need to know you POP3 and SMTP settings in order to use the feature.

On the other note, I will agree with you that 13 minutes to start up is terrible, but the issue is going to be deeper than this product, I would honestly question the environment in which you are hosting the product.

Matthew McFadden

MMcFadden wrote:

The product requirements specify Vista but also specify the email clients that will work.  GMAIL is not on the list, nor is HOTMAIL or YAHOO for that matter.  Internet mail is listed for the ACT! email client, but you will need to know you POP3 and SMTP settings in order to use the feature.

But I do know the POP3 and SMTP settings needed, the problem is that due to security concerns, *most* email servers have progressed beyond the simple unprotected POP3 and open relay ports used by "ancient" email servers. ACT apparently works only with these old email servers, and so their client won't work with what most email servers require now because it won't do SSL and allow non-standard ports. How do people use ACT11 with email? Does it require the user to get an email that works with the original standard ports and unprotected protocol? Most ISPs (like Comcast that I have) won't even allow email to be sent to the old standard open relay port. What do ACT customers do who want to use the email facility? And if there is no way to fix the email client in ACT, to be honest, ACT11 should be advertised that it has that limitation so that customers won't be misled.

And again, I can probably guess the answer to this, but is there any way to 'unactivate' the product?

This time it took about 8.5 min to start up. It spent over 8 minutes sitting with the window outline even before the splash screen. And if I looked at the process list, there was no process (including ACT) spending any time running at all. What could ACT be blocked waiting for? How do I track this down?

Hello?
How do people set up to use ACT11 to send email when they're using Vista?