Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT v9 - how to specify email setups for different databases

Copper Contributor

ACT v9 - how to specify email setups for different databases

[ Edited ]

I am using: ACT! by Sage 2007 (9.0) Version 9.0.1.162

I have 2 different databases setup for 2 different companies but I cannot locate any help info on how to specify folder locations for email. The problem is that both of these company databases seem to want to use the same email setup!? If I set the default email account on one database, then close it and open the other company's database, the default email has now changed to what I selected in the first database, back and forth over and over again.

I can only think that this is because this installation of ACT is using the same folders for email for both of the databases, and I can't seem to find our from the help how to fix this and set 2 different folder locations, one for each of the databases.

Can anyone out there suggest a possible solution to this problem? This could be dangerous, EX: in a hurry, have to send an email to a customer, but forget to change the default email and wind up sending the email from the wrong company!

C'mon, someone has to know the answer to this problem (a lot of customers probably have this same problem using this software!)
Message Edited by TonyGTO on 12-15-2009 06:45 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT v9 - how to specify email setups for different databases

Hello TonyGTO,

I know you are eager to get an answer to your question, but please be patient. The Community is not an official support site and the members who reply are doing so of their own accord and when their schedules permit.

In answer to your question, it is not possible to assign a particular mail account to a database. The email database is a separate SQL database (called "ActEmailMessageStore") that is not associated with any one database file. However, if you have multiple email accounts setup, you can choose which account to send from in the "From" dropdown field in a new message. This, however, will not be an option in a mail merge. It will use the first account you setup in the Email Wizard. The email databases are locally stored on each machine, so if you have two or more machines, then you could use different acccounts on each machine.

If you would like to post a request to have the ability to use a designated email account with a database, please do so on the Share Your Ideas board in this Community.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

anyone have any suggestions as to a better contact management software, or online service? the limitations with 'ACT' are very off-putting and seem to be designed purposley to try to force paying customers to endlessly pay more money to 'keep up with' the latest versions.

Copper Contributor

Greig, Is there any way that this functionality will be possible in the future? I also have multiple email accounts in Outlook, and run different business divisions out of them. It would be very helpful to define a database to an email account. My default Outlook account is a personal one. And if I'm not "on top of it" there is a possibility of sending a business email from this personal one -- or some other mixing of accounts.

It would be ideal to have a database-tagged default email.

Is such possible? Or impossible, for whatever database/Outlook integration reason?

Thanks in advance,

Don

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello Don,

I have not heard of any plans for this, or know if it's even possible. ACT! needs to use a default mail account in order to "log in" to Outlook so that it can integrate with it, the same way that Outlook needs a default address book (or database login) to access ACT!. I would suggest that you post this request on the Share Your Ideas board in this forum so our product managers can evaluate the request.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Thanks Greig,

Your reply was very helpful; and I understand some of the limitations better. I've done the posting to the Ideas section; and will hopefully see if this can be technically done.

Don