Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! v9 database location question

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

ACT! v9 database location question

I am using ACT! v9, and I am very happy with it, my question is:

For security proposes, could I locate my database on a fast removable drive, and then when I leave the office each day, take that drive with me.

So say you have a main computer and then 2 other computers, all have ACT installed, all have licenses. The two other computers access the main database through the network. The removable drive is connected to the main computer, and you just disconnect and take it with you when you leave each day?

Security is a big concern in the business I am in, any info on this would be greatly appreciated!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author TonyGTO
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Silver Contributor

Re: ACT! v9 database location question

There is a subscription program is you go through a hosting provider.  Hosting the database via ACT for Web or Citrix is the best way to secure your database as there is no data kept on the local machine.

Contact me directly if you wish, I"d be glad to help.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

View solution in original post

All Replies
Silver Contributor

You could do this if the only computer you accessed ACT on was the main computer. However, if you wish to access the act database from each of the other two computers, it is better to set up synchronization..

ACT is based on sql and although you may close ACT, sql is still attached to the database.  It is not really reccomended that you try and move the database around like this.

(866)710 4228

Platinum Elite Contributor

That probably could be done but to be safe you owuld need to disconnect the ACT! database from the SQL server before removing the drive and then reconnect it the next day to use the database. In all honesty I don't feel comfortable with the idea.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Thanks for your reply John. I understand.

Can you suggest any other ways to secure the database so that if the main, or other computers were stolen from your office, the ACT database would be useless to anyone else?

I am trying to stay with ACT, but upgrading to the web version is something I can't do right now, I'd love to though, you'd never have to worry about problems with individual computers, or theft or any of that.

I wonder if they will ever offer a subscription payment option for the web version instead of still selling it as if it were a regular software application? I don't understand that.

Solution
Accepted by topic author TonyGTO
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Silver Contributor

There is a subscription program is you go through a hosting provider.  Hosting the database via ACT for Web or Citrix is the best way to secure your database as there is no data kept on the local machine.

Contact me directly if you wish, I"d be glad to help.

(866)710 4228