Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! v9 Sync setup FAQ or instructions

Copper Contributor

ACT! v9 Sync setup FAQ or instructions

I have "ACT! by Sage 2007 (9.0) Version 9.0.1.162", 5 user" on a WIN XP Pro computer and need to find out how to setup remote sync using email for my db at the office.

I can't seem to find instructions in the help or online for my version, or using email for that matter.

Anyone have a link to the specific instructions I need for this?

Thanks for any help with this!

Bronze Contributor

Re: ACT! v9 Sync setup FAQ or instructions

Tony,

Setup for synchronisation in version 9 is not possible and the concept in versions since version 7 is that the remote database needs to be able to actually see the master database. You could setup a connection to the remote via VPN, direct network connection or by using a remote connection software like Hamachi

HTH

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Copper Contributor

Your kidding? I wish I had known that before I purchased v9!

I am sure that MANY users need to do this same thing, if you don't mind me asking, what is the easiest way to accomplish this? What about 2 different databases named the same thing and then use backup to update the other database (like send a backup each day to the office via email)?

I do not have any experience setting up a VPN. What would you do if you were me?

Platinum Elite Contributor

To set up sync, see the instructions in this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/5nc6vw

For an easy-to-setup VPN, have a look at Hamachi

Bronze Contributor

Tony,

I have many clients who have said similar but the functional things in later versions meant that email was not an option. I would suggest you look at Hamachi as a way to connect the two machines as the backup think is not going to work if you want to put data into the database at both ends and is very time consuming. Or contact a local ACT consultant he can probably do the job between two machines in less time than you have already spent trying to solve the problem  currently.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

We have a knowledgebase article that will show you how to setup Hamachi VPN.

Note: The information in this article is provided as a convenience. Sage Software, Inc. does not provide support for Hamachi VPN. For support information, you will need to go to LogMeIn Hamachi Support.

How To Setup Hamachi® VPN For Remote Synchronization With ACT! by Sage and ACT! by Sage Premium 2005...

Copper Contributor

Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it.

The only thing that I am still confused about is after this is setup, do you actually install the same database on the remote computer to start off and then run syncs, OR does ACT! v9 on the remote computer actually use the the master database through the VPN only, with no acutal database on the remote side?

If it's the latter, then is ACT! slower on the remote computer since it has to rely on the VPN connection to get to the master database? Also, a power outage at the master location would make the database inaccessible at the office, right?

Set up sync via the VPN... ie you have a local copy of the database and only need to connect on the VPN to sync.
Copper Contributor

Thanks for the reply, but I don't really understand, so is there even a basic copy of the master database at the remote location, or is ACT! v9 just accessing the master database through the VPN? And if that is so, it must be a bit slower on the remote side? And if the computer that the master database is on shuts down, then there would be no remote access to the database?

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I just didn't get your reply.

Thanks