Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! v9. Question - Spaces in an envelope template??? How?

Copper Contributor

ACT! v9. Question - Spaces in an envelope template??? How?

I made a new envelope template that just shows the name and address fields, to print an outbound envelope from contacts.

The problem, in editing the template, I put spaces between (for instance) the city, state, and zip fields, but when you preview or print, there is no space between these fields. All 3 fields just run together.

I'm sure this is something simple that I am overlooking, and you can't go to Tools, Horizontal Spacing from the template editor (under Write)? And there is nothing in the help for this.

What am I missing?

Thanks for any help

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! v9. Question - Spaces in an envelope template??? How?

What version of the ACT! program?
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

ACT! v9.

Can you provide more information about what you are trying to do?
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

I don't know how to explain this any better than I already did???

I just want to be able to print envelopes for contacts, and in the address that prints out on the envelope, there is a space between the city, state, and zip fileds, instead of no space.

Thats it, if I put a space between these fields in the envelope template, for some reason, it does not show up in the printed address! Instead I get an address where the city, state, and zip run together with no spaces between them.

I'm still not sure why you are having the problem you are describing. To concatenate and format the city, state zip line, you would use an expression in a custom field.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

To string together the city, state, and zip line and have spaces between those fields requires "use an expression in a custom field"???

I thank you for trying to help me, but I am not following you, what if the city, state, and zip fields are not "custom" fields, they are the fields that were already there when I started customizing ACT v9. for my company.

I just want to print an envelope for a contact with spaces between fields that are on the same line?????? I don't get it, shouldn't the program just do that without it having to be a major production? v6 had no problem printing addresses on envelopes, why does v9. have this problem? And how would you proceed from here - seems like an awful lot of time I am waisting on this little problem that should not exist anyway!

Thanks anyway.

Check here. http://tinyurl.com/5jclfv
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am at a total brickwall dead end on this PROBLEM. In ACT! v9, how the heck do you print regular #10 envelopes (the contact mailing address) on a HP Deskjet 990cse printer???? Is the problem ACT, or my printer which I only use because you can print closer to the page edge than most printers, so I use it for envelopes.

Either there is no space between the city, state, and zip fields, or  there is a hugh space that is way to large, OR nothing shows on the printed #10 envelope, and which type of template should I be using anyway? If I go to write, then mail merge, it wants to use a .tpl file, if I go to reports, then "other contact reports", then it wants me to select a .rep template?

I want to use Mail merge for printing outbound simple #10 envelopes as I did in v6. but it seems that the editor for .rep and .tpl are different, with different features? Thus this problem!

This is really turning into an aggravating thing after a week of going back and forth, over and over again and still no SIMPLE PLAIN #10 OUTBOUND ENVELOPE FROM A CONTACT WILL PRINT correctly!

Anyone else out there having this problem? I google this problem and get nothing! And did a search here and still nothing on this site about this problem?

I WILL PAY FOR A SOLUTION IF I HAVE TO!

Content edit.  Please keep it courteous.

Message Edited by dlunceford on 12-02-2008 01:57 PM

Please check your private messages, upper right corner of the screen.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129