Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! v20.1 Windows10 crashes when trying to attach file in document tab.

Copper Contributor

ACT! v20.1 Windows10 crashes when trying to attach file in document tab.

Using Act Pro V20.1 with update 8. New installation, 4th PC. Windows 10.

When I try to attach / add a file under the documents tab, Act freezes with "grayed out" area and a Not Responding message. It is then totally locked up . Act must be closed and re-started. This only happens on a new PC I just installed. I can attach files on another PC and then open the attachment with no problem on the new machine. I can even change and save the attached file on the new PC with no problem. I have tested Word and Excel files with the same results. Everything else seems to work fine as I just created a Word doc through merge with no problem. It when I tried to add that doc that I discovered the problem. I tested with old docs and still had the same problem. Any ideas?

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! v20.1 Windows10 crashes when trying to attach file in document tab.

On January 26, 2016, Microsoft released an update in their Windows Updates for the Microsoft .NET Framework which updated Microsoft .NET to version 4.6.1. This update has been known to cause issues when trying to interact with the Documents tab, modify attachments, or attach new files to the database.

In your case I suggest contacting the support department directly so they can take remote control of your computer and they can Fix the problem when You trying to add an attachment to the contact information.

Support Email: support@act.com

Support phone: 866-873-2006

Support operation hours:
Monday to Friday: 8:30am to 8:30pm (EST)

Good luck and do not forget to make a daily backup of your database (File - Backup - Database - Click on Browse to make this backup in your Documents folder - Include the attachments) and at the end I suggest additionally place COPY of that ZIP File of the backup on a USB drive or External disk for more security (In case of Virus or damage to the server's hard disk)

Best regards,

Juan Carlos Otero Garcia
juancarlosotero@protonmail.com
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Just stopped having problems. Who knows why, just the mystery of electronics and software.
Silver Contributor

I have noticed that the last windows update is often loaded in 2 halves, the first seems to wreck a number of programs and the 2nd part after a reboot seems to put them back working -very odd and very Microsoft updates normal aggravation !!!!

Copper Contributor

Sounds like that may have been the situation.