Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT v18 Starts then shuts down

Highlighted

ACT v18 Starts then shuts down

Hi Everyone,

I could not find a topic for my question so I am posting a new topic.

I have a client with Windows 10 with ACT! v18. It was running great for months now when you start ACT! the ACT! splash window appears, the program appears behind it, then it all disappears within a second. ACT! (program) is not running in Task Manager.

I have uninstalled all security software (with a reboot) with the same result.

Any suggested remedies would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Silver Contributor

Re: ACT v18 Starts then shuts down

My best guess is that the preferences have become corrupted. Please find a link to the knowledgebase article to remove them so they rebuild when ACT is started again.

https://help.act.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024241154-How-to-rebuild-the-Act-Preferences-file

Highlighted

Hi ch1p,
I tried: https://help.act.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024241154-How-to-rebuild-the-Act-Preferences-file but no luck. The same issue occurs. Any other suggestions?
Highlighted
Nickel Contributor

Does the SQL Server (ACT7) service start on that machine?

Highlighted

Yes. I check the service and it is running when the issue occurs.

Highlighted
Silver Contributor

[ Edited ]

Next thing is to see if this is database specific or the ACT installation. Can you open the demo database? If you cant find it try creating a new database with a different name like Test. If you can do this and open it we need to look at the database being damaged and that will mean using ACTDIAG which I will go into after you have tried the above. 

Highlighted
Silver Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just had another thought, had you updated ACT V18 with the latest patch and new licence number? Info below -

https://help.act.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024431753-Act-Licensing-Software-Update

Highlighted

Here's what I have tried:

>Created a new user account on the PC and opening ACT to the Demo database

>Download and install ACT 18.2 Update 7, the install proceeds and in the end it says Update Failed - it does the same for all Updates/Hotfixes.

>Uninstall/reboot/reinstall ACT!

All of the above ends with the same issue:

>Act starts, the splash screen appears, the program appears, then it all disappears

*ACT 7 SQL is running in Services.msc

Any other suggestions?

Highlighted
Nickel Contributor

I would try a complete reinstall, which for me would be the following:

1 - Uninstall Act Pro

2 - Stop the SQL Server (Act) service

3 - Uninstall all of the pieces relating to SQL Server (if possible)

4 - Reinstall Act Pro (with v18,2 Update 7)

5 - Run Windows Update

You probably already have a backup of your database, and you will want to have that if needed.

Might seem like overdoing it, but it sounds like you have done every other reasonable thing that you could do.

I don't recall reading of anything in particular relating to Windows 10 and Act v18.2.

Hope you can get this figured out.

Highlighted

ch1p, I think I have a resolution:
I contacted the ACT consultant who sold me the software for help. He said the issue is due to a licensing problem like you mentioned.
>I attempted the installation of https://help.act.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024264214 immediately after the reinstalling ACT as one of my remedies but got the same result.
>The ACT Consultant is sending me a new install file that includes an updated license update file

I appreciate your suggestions!