Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! v16 Company Creation does not populate the Company address fields

ACT! v16 Company Creation does not populate the Company address fields

[ Edited ]

I import a list of contacts that include company names and set the Create Company option to 1 and companies are created and all the contacts are linked just fine.

However, the Company record does not include any address or phone number data.   Is there a fix for this problem?

For most users most of the time, we call on a single building with people inside all sharing the same address.   Ths is the most basic function that should work before all the advanced linking feature are added.

Nickel Contributor

Re: ACT! v16 Company Creation does not populate the Company address fields

The company creation only creates a new company with the company name field inserted with information and is working as designed.

I suppose it's done this was because which address should be used if Contacts had the same company name but different addresses, which one should be used.

Bronze Super Contributor

Chris is correct. Its working as designed. I always unlink the Address fields in the Company Links anyway because of the same potential to overwrite different Contacts addresses.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 

so how do I import a list of contacts into ACT! and make it work which includes populating the company address fields?

This would seem to be one of the most basic function a new user would need to do and purchasing an addon product is not going to be an option.

upon review of response from dshaw if you can unlink the address fields should you not be able to link them?

Nickel Contributor

The only option you have if you don't want to use an addon is to use the create company from contact option via the contact menu but will be time consuming and not create the company as part of the import. 

Copper Super Contributor

Ok, I get that the address may be different - but here's what happens.  I create a new contact and enter the information into the contact record (I want ACT! to Automatically create a company upon entering the contact - ACT! creates a company record with no address, phone, etc information.  So, I go to add the address - it asks if I want to update the linked contact - I say yes - and it wipes out the rest of the contact info I had just entered.  So now, I don't have all the contact info.  

So, if you don't want to blow away the contact info - you need to copy, click on the company, paste the field, go back to the contact, but answer no to do you want to update linked contact information - and repeat several times before you actually have the company info filled out.  This is tedious and time consuming.

There should be an option when automatically creating the company records to copy the data from the contact record - typically, most people are going to enter the address for the single contact -

I get there are contacts whose address info can differ from the company info - but there are plenty of us who have individual businesses they track as well. 

WHat time savings do we gain if we have to copy and paste or re-enter data again? 

I think with a little tweaking - this can be a time-saving feature - but it should have the option to automatically populate the linked fields from the contact...