Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT v10 Word templates (i.e. .tpl, .adt, etc.). Can't use v8 files types on v10.

ACT v10 Word templates (i.e. .tpl, .adt, etc.). Can't use v8 files types on v10.

I just converted from ACT 2006 (v8) to 2008 Standard (v10). Before the conversion, I had a nice mail merge letter going out to our members (we're a non profit) and it had a ACT-specific file type of .adt, as in sample_letter.adt. I don't recall that there were any files with the .tpl file extension in the v8 version, but I could be wrong.

Well, now I have two problems:

1) I can open the old file I have with the .adt file extension, even see the Field Names dialog box and the imbedded field names in teh document itself, but I cannot save it to anything but normal MS Word extensions, such as .doc, .html, etc. This happens when I start Word independently and open the file. It's even worse if I try to open it from inside ACT through the File-> Edit Template menu. ACT will only allow you to "see" files with the .tpl file extension. My .adc file is no where to be found.

2) When you try a Mail Merge, it only allows you to select a template file with a .tpl extension

So, what's happening. I have a beautifully designed letter with our logo, special styles, a masthead along the left margin, that worked fine with ACT2006 but now I am dead in the water.

Please help, and thanks in advance.

-dan

Copper Contributor

Re: ACT v10 Word templates (i.e. .tpl, .adt, etc.). Can't use v8 files types on v10.

Go to Tools - Preferences - Communication and select MsWord as your WordProcessor.
Thanks,
Inge van Gemert
ACT! Certified Consultant
The Netherlands
inge@inkey.net

Re: ACT v10 Word templates (i.e. .tpl, .adt, etc.). Can't use v8 files types on v10.

have done this many times before, but cannot seem to make it work now.....
Open one of the standard email templates and edit it, save as a new file XXX, but does not show in my list of available templates....
Our data is on a server and the file shows on the list of templates, but when I go to do an email merge it is not listed as an option ???
thanks for your help.
Nickel Contributor m4y
Nickel Contributor

Whichh version of MS Word do you use?

And do you have the ACT menu in word?

Xavier Nyssen

ACT! Certified Consultant @ Intuitis | Belgium
{ +32 64 45 08 00 | xavier@intuitis.be | http://intuitis.be }

Thank you
I will report back tommorow from office
I know we have Office 2007, but I save as Office 2003

There is an option in the Word menu to carry out ACT activities
I will give this a try
Thanks

I am an idiot, I was able to do it by editing templates.
Thanks