Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT v10 - Can't connect to any database

ACT v10 - Can't connect to any database

I can't open any databases, including the sample database. I did a bit of trouble shooting, and it appears the problem is that my instance of SQL Server (ACT7) isn't running -- I get an error (3417) when I try to start it. I also have SQL Express installed, and I can't start that either. I tried to uninstall/reinstall ACT, but I got error code 1603 when I tried to uninstall.

I have ACT 2008 (v10, with updates), running on XP. Everything was working fine for the past few years, but it stopped working today. Nothing really has changed with my computer - the only two things I can think of that may have caused this are:

1. I have a RAID drive, and this morning I accidentally turned off the power while the computer was booting up, which caused the computer to go through a two hour synchronization process, which may have corrupted something.

OR

2. Because of power outage here at work, I brought the computer home this past weekend and connected it to my home network. Everything worked fine at home. I didn't interact with my home computers, transfer any files, change any settings, or turn off the firewall. ACT only stopped working back here at the office. Everything else continues to work fine, so I don't think it's a virus.

Any ideas?

Re: ACT v10 - Can't connect to any database

I have compounded the problem by trying to uninstall/reinstall ACT.. I wasn't able to fully uninstall the program (got error code 1603).. so now I have just a fragment of ACT installed, and I can't fix it.
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: ACT v10 - Can't connect to any database

Here is an article with instructions for downloading and running the ACT!Uninstaller utility.  It is used to remove the ACT! program when the Add/Remove Programs (Programs and Features) fails.

KB Article 19338

Greg Martin
Sage