Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! using Parallels for Apple...

ACT! using Parallels for Apple...

[ Edited ]
I'm in the market for a new notebook and I'm really loving the Macbook we bought our son for college.  ACT doesn't offer a specific version for the Mac but research has found two programs that can run Windows programs without needing to "dual boot".   The two programs are VMware and Parallels.  Any experience with either of these or other alternatives?  I'm running ACT! 10.

Thanks,
-todd

Message Edited by ACT-inBetter on 02-02-2008 01:51 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! using Parallels for Apple...

I run ACT! 10 under XP in VMWare on a few systems and it seems to work.
I haven't tried Parallels

Why not Boot Camp and running XP Native?

I didn't think boot camp was the solution as I usually have many windows open concurrently and like to be able to switch between them quickly.  Also, running Windows on a Mac seems like it would reduce the advantages that the Mac has anyway.

Thanks for your reply so quickly.  I wish ACT would make a Mac version.

So get a trial of VMWare and ACT! and see how it goes... only beware if there are issues, support may be difficult

ACT! did have a MAC version in the 2.0 for Windows time-frame... but most MAC users are creative rather than sales and it just didn't have the slaes to justify it, I guess.

They even have a version for the Apple Newton (for those that remember)

GLComputing wrote:
but most MAC users are creative rather than sales and it just didn't have the slaes to justify it, I guess.

Yeah, but many creative people are self-employed like myself and our survival in the creative industries depends greatly on our sales abilities. Having the right sales tools can make a huge difference to our businesses.

I used to be a Windows/ACT user, but I'm one on the many people who have switched to Mac. I am personally disappointed with the CRM options available for Mac, and I especially miss add-ons like Address Grabber and List Grabber. I hope Sage looks at the numbers again, because I think Mac's market share is increasing and will continue to do so. In meantime I am planning on giving VMWare a try.

Cheers,

Andrew

I don't think MAC's market share has increased enough in the target market for ACT!... if so, not just Sage, but other CRM companies would have producted current versions for the OS.

Don't get me wrong, I love MAC (I demo'd the first MAC in Australia together with Jobs)... but it becomes a question of achieving a planned ROI from the R&D investment.

As ACT! is now built into the Microsoft .Net Framework, maybe the solution is for MS to port the framework to the MAC OS, which would make the developers able to producce OS independant applications?

If MS charged a royalty to Apple or Linux to include a .Net Framework, it would be a huge step towards Open Computing and could make .Net a real standard. It might cost them some OS sales, but they'd gain it in dev tools

We use Parallels in our design studio on all of our macs and have found it to be a fantastic product, we don't use it with ACT but we use the MS Office 2003/2007, Outlook 2003/2007 connecting with our exchange server and Filemaker. We have had no problems at all. You can run the applications in "coherence" mode which basically launches the application as if it was an application on your mac. I would highly recommend it. You can download a trial version here http://www.parallels.com/en/download/desktop/

If you get the chance, it would be great if you could download the ACT! trial and see if it works under Parallels and links ok to your Outlook?

Mike,

Thanks very much for your replies.  I carefully reviewed the programs that I am using and realized that, unfortunately, most are windows based with no Mac options.  So, reluctantly, I ordered a Dell XPS with the specifications to run most any memory hogging program out there.  I have decided to order an Imac for home so maybe I can enjoy both environments.  Here's hoping that Act realizes the ever-growing market share that Apple has and offers a native Act for the mac.

Highest regards!

-todd