Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply

ACT upgrade to 10.01 from 10.0 problem

New Member
Posts: 6
Country: USA

ACT upgrade to 10.01 from 10.0 problem

Last weekend I started using ACT 10.0 successfully after two months of frustration.  Fortunately I did a database and computer system backup immediately after that momentous event.
 
Next, I downloaded and installed the 10.01 update and now ACT! won't run at all.  AGAIN !!
 
The ACT startup error message was "Could not load file or assembly 'Act.Framework.Interop, Version=10.0.199.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=ebf6b2ff4d0a08aa' or one of its dependencies.  The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131q040)".  That popup window was followed by another asking if I wanted to report the problem.  I did so listing the same message quoted in this paragraph.
 
I do not have any idea what this means; Sage has not answered the problem report I submitted. 
 
Is my best recourse to go back to version 10.0 from the CD?  Are there database incompatibilities between 10.0 and 10.01?  Should I follow the instructions Mike Lazarus of GLComputing sent me in the Sage Community Forum discussion thread "Cannot get ACT 2008 installed in a Vista computer".
 
They seem a bit drastic and will take one-half day to implement fully.  If  the only alternative is no ACT at all, however, I will happily live without improvements built into 10.01 and its apparent corruption.
 
Incidentally, does anyone know how to get Sage to respond to ACT problem reports after they are submitted?  I am only 4 days into the 30 day support period users are entitled to after registering.
Copper Contributor
Posts: 97
Country: USA

Re: ACT upgrade to 10.01 from 10.0 problem

Hello,
 
It looks like ACT! is trying to load version 10.0 (version=10.0.199.0) rather than 10.01 for Act.Framework.Interop.  This probably means that you're missing a Global Assembly Cache policy file for Act.Framework.Interop for some reason. 
 
I realize this probably means nothing to you right now but the great news is that any related issues should be fixed in 10.02 as ACT! will no longer require/install the millions of policy files to the GAC.  Trust me... this is great news, and should fix your issue.  10.02 is due in a matter of weeks.
 
In the meantime, have you tried re-running the 10.01 update?  Then try going back to 10 via the CD.  Finally, use Mike's thorough process.
 
Unfortunately I don't think Sage responds to any of those error reports... they are modeled after the Microsoft error submission dialogs and of course Microsoft doesn't respond to them either.  You'll have to contact ACT! directly to utilize your support period.
 
Hope this helps,
jason
 
Jason Sellers
ACT! Engineer 2000-2007
New Member
Posts: 6
Country: USA

Re: ACT upgrade to 10.01 from 10.0 problem

Jason,
 
I followed your suggestions and am back in business.  THANKS !!
 
It was not possible to repair or re-install the 10.0.1 update.  As you remarked I went back to the 10.0 CD.  Fortunately there were no database restructurings to overcome.
 
The routine I've worked for this type of system maintenance on Vista is as follows:
1.  Do everything when logged in as an administrator.
2.  Turn User Account Control (UAC) off and reboot.
3.  Turn McAfee virus control off.
4.  Ignore Vista's irritating and endless security warnings.
5.  Uninstall ACT 10.0.1 and be grateful that the ACT7 instance of SQL Server Express 2005 is not also uninstalled.
6.  Reinstall ACT 10.0
7.  Turn McAfee virus control on.
8.  Turn UAC back on and reboot.
9.  Confirm that the earlier ACT registration survived these machinations. 
 
(ACT would not let me into its registration box, saying that only administrators can see the holy grail:  I am this computer's administrator, its only user, and the local bottle washer.  The about box confirmed the license number.  But, why tell administrators this kind of BS?  It seems to be deliberate misinformation, as if we needed more obstacles messing up our workdays.)
 
This experience makes me even more leery of all Sage and ACT updates or upgrades.
Platinum Elite Contributor
Posts: 14,384
Country: Australia

Re: ACT upgrade to 10.01 from 10.0 problem



mrmap wrote:
Jason,
 
(ACT would not let me into its registration box, saying that only administrators can see the holy grail:  I am this computer's administrator, its only user, and the local bottle washer.  The about box confirmed the license number.  But, why tell administrators this kind of BS?  It seems to be deliberate misinformation, as if we needed more obstacles messing up our workdays.)



In Vista, that usually means UAC is on... with UAC on, no-one is a full Administrator
 
Next time you do an install, do it in Selective Startup Mode. Always more reliable and you don't have to disable McAfee as it won't be there
 
10.01 is usually worth it for the amount of stuff it fixes.
New Member
Posts: 1
Country: United States

Re: ACT upgrade to 10.01 from 10.0 problem

I ahve the same issue with version 9.0.  I removed and reinstalled Act 2007.  But I still cannot get it to start.

 


mrmap wrote:
Last weekend I started using ACT 10.0 successfully after two months of frustration.  Fortunately I did a database and computer system backup immediately after that momentous event.
Next, I downloaded and installed the 10.01 update and now ACT! won't run at all.  AGAIN !!
The ACT startup error message was "Could not load file or assembly 'Act.Framework.Interop, Version=10.0.199.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=ebf6b2ff4d0a08aa' or one of its dependencies.  The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131q040)".  That popup window was followed by another asking if I wanted to report the problem.  I did so listing the same message quoted in this paragraph.
I do not have any idea what this means; Sage has not answered the problem report I submitted. 
Is my best recourse to go back to version 10.0 from the CD?  Are there database incompatibilities between 10.0 and 10.01?  Should I follow the instructions Mike Lazarus of GLComputing sent me in the Sage Community Forum discussion thread "Cannot get ACT 2008 installed in a Vista computer".
They seem a bit drastic and will take one-half day to implement fully.  If  the only alternative is no ACT at all, however, I will happily live without improvements built into 10.01 and its apparent corruption.
Incidentally, does anyone know how to get Sage to respond to ACT problem reports after they are submitted?  I am only 4 days into the 30 day support period users are entitled to after registering.

 

Platinum Elite Contributor
Posts: 14,384
Country: Australia

Re: ACT upgrade to 10.01 from 10.0 problem

[ Edited ]

gromitsupport wrote:

I ahve the same issue with version 9.0.  I removed and reinstalled Act 2007.  But I still cannot get it to start.

 

As this is a different version, you should post this to a new thread... also add any error message you get and the operating system

 


 

Message Edited by GLComputing on 05-05-2009 11:50 PM