Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! trial and bugs that are never fixed

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

ACT! trial and bugs that are never fixed

We have been using ACT! since v6.  At the time we had 10 users.    We are currently using ACT! Pro 2013 which is very buggy.  We didn't want to upgrade but was forced to get it to work with Outlook 2010.   Every new release I try the trial version and I find the exact same bugs in each new version.   We would pay to upgrade without any new feature just to have these bugs fixed, but they never are.   I had more than one phone conversation with ACT! sales reps when I request a trial version, and they always say that a lot of bugs have been fixed but I don't find that to be true.  I found several bugs within a few hours of testing v18.  I have one question that I would like to have answered:  is the ACT! email client ever going to be updated/maintained, or it's now just an abandoned piece of code that no one really should be using, i.e. use Outlook instead?

The problem with using Outlook instead is that it makes the process of starting new emails much longer:  Let's say I'm going to write an email to someone whose last name is Scott.   1.  Switch to ACT.   2. Type Scott in the search box and press enter.   3. Double-click on the contact to open it.  4. Double-click on the email address.   5. Outlook new email opens with the email address in the To: field.    6. start typing the email.  

Compare this with the ACT email client:  1. Click Write new email.  2. Start typing Scott in the To: field and the auto-complete finds the name.  3.  Start typing email. 

We could get used to just use Outlook and that's what most our employees have done, but it'd be nice to have an official response that we really should just give up waiting and switch.   Another problem is that after the employees switch, they just refuse to use ACT, so now our company contacts are split among individual Outlook contacts. 

If it matters, I tested the trial with Windows 10 and Outlook 2010 with Exchange Server, antivirus disabled, using the demo database.   But I can get the same bugs with Windows 7 and Outlook 2013.   

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author marciow
‎05-25-2016 11:44 AM
Administrator

Re: ACT! trial and bugs that are never fixed

Hi Marciow, 

It seems like most of the issues you have listed are related to Act! email, with the exception of 5. which appears to be an Outlook error message (Microsoft Forum).

Act! email was added to Act! a number of years ago, before Outlook became the most popular choice for managing business email, and before the Outlook integration was as developed as it is today. The Act! email component uses third party resources, some of which are no longer maintained by their creators. Due to it's limited functionality with recent security standards, Outlook integration has become the recommended method for handling emails in Act!. For these reasons and a few more, the Act! email and internet mail components have not been maintained as a core feature of the software for quite some time now, and there are no current development plans on the roadmap for it.

There are still Knowledgebase articles for assistance with Act! email. Here's one for issue no. 2 in your list:

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22446

Act! email can be useful in certain scenarios as a workaround for some limitations in other areas of the software, but is no longer recommended to be used as a primary email client for Act! users.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Administrator

Hi marciow,

Our development effort regarding email is focused primarily on the integration between Act and Outlook.

It looks like your email sending workflow could be improved, were you to consider moving to Outlook for the sending of emails.

1. Type Scott in the Act search box and press enter
  2. Right click contact > Write > E-mail
  3. Start typing email

If your Outlook integration was set up to sync your Act contacts with your Outlook address book, you could then configure Outlook to use the Act contacts address book by default, which would mean you could also find your Act contacts in Outlook when writing a new email.

Sending emails through Outlook can still record history in Act if the email system preferences have been set up to do so in Act.

I'd be interested to hear what other bugs you are running into when trialling Act v18.

Not to gang up on you,  I just walked into a most annoying Bug.

I took a screen shot.
Attached.

Essentially I was attempted to play with the layout of a modified Activity.

Somehow, and I don't quite know how the property box escaped from its corner into a half baked window covering the right half of my layout.  Now it has its new home, the title bar doesn't move it around the screen, and there is not little "X" in the top corner. F4 does make it go away, but not put it back in its home under the existing fields.

Not quite a show stopper, but more than annoying. Its a most annoying Bug.

Hi Scott, your workflow is as cumbersome as mine, in fact it might be even longer.  You just wrote in a way that make it appear shorter when in fact it's not.  My workflow:

1.  Switch to ACT.  

2. Type Scott in the search box and press enter.  

3. Double-click on the contact to open it.  

4. Click on the email address.  

5. Outlook new email opens with the email address in the To: field.    

6. start typing the email.  

Your workflow, describe using the same format:

1.  Switch to ACT.  

2. Type Scott in the search box and press enter.  

3. Right-click Contact.  

4. Click Write.  

5. Click E-mail.

6. Outlook new email opens with the email address in the To: field.    

7. start typing the email.

I asked a couple of people to try and they agree your workflow is even more cumbersome.   Neither workflow is nowhere as efficient as the workflow using the ACT! email client.  

Forgot to tell you about the bugs:

1. ACT email doesn't save the window size.   When I open an email, the window that opens is tiny.   I enlarge it.   Then I hit reply.  The reply window is tiny.  I enlarge it too.   Then I open another email and the window that opens is tiny again. 

2. ACT crashes often with error "ActEmail MFC Application has stopped working" .

3. Sometimes when getting the error above or ACT crashing some other way, this message appears, "Act! cannot find any installed e-mail carriers on this computer.  You haven't set up any e-mail systems. ... "   Sometimes, closing and opening ACT again fixes this.  A few rare times, the email set up needs to be re-done. 

4. Cannot paste a screenshot into an email. 

5. Error "The time limit for logging on was reached while waiting for system resources"

6. Error "Access is denied.  (Exception from HRESULT:0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED)". 

7. Some special characters sometimes don't display correctly.  For instance, an email has bullet points.  If I open it in Outlook, I see a bullet point.  If I open the same email in ACT, I see <!--[if !supportLists]-->  <!--[endif]-->

Administrator

Lmotley wrote:

Not to gang up on you,  I just walked into a most annoying Bug.

I took a screen shot.
Attached.

Essentially I was attempted to play with the layout of a modified Activity.

Somehow, and I don't quite know how the property box escaped from its corner into a half baked window covering the right half of my layout.  Now it has its new home, the title bar doesn't move it around the screen, and there is not little "X" in the top corner. F4 does make it go away, but not put it back in its home under the existing fields.

Not quite a show stopper, but more than annoying. Its a most annoying Bug.

Hi Lmotley,

It looks like you're using Durkin Impact layout designer, which is a 3rd party addon tool for Act. Perhaps @jimdurkin can offer some assistance with this?

Solution
Accepted by topic author marciow
‎05-25-2016 11:44 AM
Administrator

Hi Marciow, 

It seems like most of the issues you have listed are related to Act! email, with the exception of 5. which appears to be an Outlook error message (Microsoft Forum).

Act! email was added to Act! a number of years ago, before Outlook became the most popular choice for managing business email, and before the Outlook integration was as developed as it is today. The Act! email component uses third party resources, some of which are no longer maintained by their creators. Due to it's limited functionality with recent security standards, Outlook integration has become the recommended method for handling emails in Act!. For these reasons and a few more, the Act! email and internet mail components have not been maintained as a core feature of the software for quite some time now, and there are no current development plans on the roadmap for it.

There are still Knowledgebase articles for assistance with Act! email. Here's one for issue no. 2 in your list:

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22446

Act! email can be useful in certain scenarios as a workaround for some limitations in other areas of the software, but is no longer recommended to be used as a primary email client for Act! users.

#5 is actually a generic Microsoft error code indicating an unhandled exception.  It does occur in ACT not in Outlook.    I tried all the knowledgebase articles to no avail.   We've been dealing with these issues for years.  

But thanks, Gary..   Your post answered my main question.   I've actually been wondering whether ACT! email uses some module that your programmers can't update because some of these bugs should be trivial to fix (#1 for example).    Knowing that the ACT! email will never be updated, we can now move on (or just deal with the bugs), and at least I don't have to be waiting and trying every new version to see if these will be fixed.   I will try to see if we can get another workflow going with my team.

Hi. thanks for the response.

Here is what I found.

The most annoying bug ever, did not resolve on reload of Durkin, Nor on reload of Act.  Other weird non related errors kept popping up until fairly quickly, the whole windows 10 thing froze. Solid. No recovery. 

At this point I gave up, reformatted the disk,  did a fresh install of windows 10, Act! and Durkin.  So far I have seen no sign of the most annoying bug, nor any of the other weirdness.  I assume then, the problem was related to a corrupted windows system.

A new bug instead.  When I am, looking at tasks, in list form, with the inline editing set,  one of the fields will not accept the edit. Specifically, on moving the cursor off the record to the next one, the previous edit reverts back to its original value.

Is this a known issue?

Administrator

Hi Lmotley,

Are you referring to the Edit mode checkbox in contacts list view?
When you have Edit mode enabled in the list view, and you have made an edit to a field, are you clicking save before clicking out of the field? If you are not doing this already, I would suggest you do. This ensures all changes are completely saved.