Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT "Not Responding"

ACT "Not Responding"

I have 2009 (11.)) Version 11.1.183.0 Hotfix 4. About 2 times per day I have to close ACT and reboot my computer. Task manager gives me a message "Not Responding". I have already uninstalled and reinstalled and am still getting the same results. Any ideas?

Tuned Listener

Re: ACT "Not Responding"

How old is your computer? When did this start happening? Is there anything spesific you can do that will cause it to happen or does it seem to happen randomly?

My computer is a little over 4 years old. I am running Windows XP. Seems to be random usually a couple of times a day. It starts getting slower and eventually doesn't work. When I go to the task manager I get the message "Not responding". It started happening about 2 months ago. I have uninstalled and reinstalled ACT recently, but still get the same results.

Tuned Listener

Your computer shouldn't be too slow for ACT, but you might want to try clearing out some old activities and running some database maintaince (or at least the maintaince part). Sometimes over time a lot of activities can build up and slow things down.

1.      Database backup

a.       Before getting started, make sure you have a backup of your database.

2.      Clear and/or Delete Activities

a.       Go to the Task List (this is best done from your Task List, since you can filter activities by date, priority, user, and type)

b.       Right-click and choose “Clear Multiple Activities” and then either choose “Completed” or “Erase”

3.      Remove Cleared Activities

a.       Keep in mind that when you clear an activity, history is created – so when you delete a cleared activity, you still have a record of it in History.

b.      From the Tools menu, choose Database Maintenance and then Remove Old Data

c.       Check “Cleared activities older than” and then enter a number of days.  I’d pick a date no more recent than two years ago (730 days), more recent is better.

d.      Click OK to delete them – note that this affects ALL users.

4.      Database Maintenance

a.       Back up your database first.

b.      Force a check and reindex by going back to the Tools menu, then Database Maintenance, then Check and Repair

c.       Check off both boxes

d.      Click OK

Thanks for your assistance. I completed all the maintenance steps you gave me. I'll let you know how it goes.