Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! no longer permits spaces in main company contact email address field -- BAD IDEA!

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

ACT! no longer permits spaces in main company contact email address field -- BAD IDEA!

Back in what I believe was ACT! 2011, ACT! automatically stripped out any spaces appearing in the email address field. I had used this field to include several email addresses so I could send an email to multiple people all at once. I had separated the addresses by a semi-colon or comma as well as a space. The space was needed so I could key CONTROL+ARROW to quickly highlight one of the addresses if I didn't want to send my email to all of them. Now, when I key CONTROL+ARROW, I go only to the beginning or end of the email address field, thereby including all addresses.

Couldn't ACT! give me the option of how I want to use this field. Many software applications permit multiple addresses to be stored in an email field, separated by a comma or semi-colon and a space.

Here is an example of what I'd like to include in the email field:

abc@gmail.com, xyz@gmail.com

If I do this on ACT! 2011 or beyond, it saves as:

abc@gmail.com,xyz@gmail.com

(note: no space between the addresses)

How do others feel about this?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author peterk@fmlink.com
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: ACT! no longer permits spaces in main company contact email address field -- BAD IDEA!

The purpose of the e-mail address field as it is in the program is designed so that you can click one person's e-mail address and autopopulate their email address into the To: field in Outlook or into Act! Mail, or so that you can autopopulate multipe contacts' email addresses into the To: field in Outlook or Act! Email.

If you're simply copying and pasting the email addresses into your email client, and not relying on Act! to pre-fill the addresses into your email message, rather than using the email field, which turns anything you put in it into a link, you could use a memo field instead. This will allow you to put many e-mail addresses into one field with the semicolon and spaces as you described.

In case you're interested in doing this instead, I'm including some Knowledgebase articles below that may help you:

How to create and modify fields: http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15331

How to design layouts: http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15332

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com

View solution in original post

All Replies

Re: ACT! no longer permits spaces in main company contact email address field -- BAD IDEA!

The Company record screen does not allow for e-mail addresses. Only Contact records can have an e-mail address. In order to send email addresses for multiple Contacts within a Company, it would be necessary to create a Company record, then assign Contacts to that record. Once you do that, you can go to the Company record and click Write > Email message. This will automatically populate all of the Contacts from that Company in the To: field of your email.

Additionally, if you wish to send it to multiple members of a Company, but do not wish to send it to everyone in the Company, you can create a lookup of the Company by right-clicking the company name from the Company screen, choosing create lookup, then from the lookup control + click anyone you don't want to include, and click Omit Selected above the columns. From there you can send your email to the entire list of remaining Contacts. 

If you want a Contact record to have multiple email addresses, you will need to create multiple e-mail address fields instead, but creating a Company and adding the Contacts to it would be the best route to take.

For more information on creating and managing Companies in Act!, refer to the following Knowledgebase article:

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13884 

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage

Elise,

Thank you for your response. Sadly, it is a workaround that does not address what I want to do, or how I use the email field. I do NOT generate emails through ACT -- rather I use my own proprietary program. So I use the email field just to grab names and addresses and then choose the ones I want for each email. It is a simple cut-and-paste operation (or it used to be) -- I'd copy all addresses into my email, and then using the CONTROL + [ARRIOW] quickly delete the addresses I don't want to include (the group changes with each email) -- I don't need to set up multiple groupings or enter the email addresses into multiple fields. If several were in the address fields in the originating email, I'd copy them in one motion, paste them into ACT, and then insert them into one email.

All I needed from ACT was the ability to include a space in the email field (if that was how I copied it); by removing all spaces automatically, ACT has made a simple operation (for me) a major headache. And it serves no purpose! Why not put the feature back in, or give us an option on how we wish to set up the field.

If ACT cannot do this, explain how I can set this up as a plain text field instead of the email field, and then I can use it how I wish.

Thanks very much for trying to understand!

Peter

Bronze Super Contributor

As a slightly off the wall approach, you could write a script using AutoHotKey (it's free, google it) such that when you press CTRL-ALT-V (similar to but not the same as Paste CTRL-V) it would take the contents of the clipboard and replace all commas with a comma and a space, replace all semicolons with a semicolon and a space. You could then 'compile' that script so that it is always active.

Then when you press CTRL-C to copy the emails from the field, you'd press CTRL-ALT-V to paste them into your email product, you could now use the CTRL-ARROW keys to navigate through them as you once did. This leaves your CTRL-V free for a normal 'paste' function.

Solution
Accepted by topic author peterk@fmlink.com
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

The purpose of the e-mail address field as it is in the program is designed so that you can click one person's e-mail address and autopopulate their email address into the To: field in Outlook or into Act! Mail, or so that you can autopopulate multipe contacts' email addresses into the To: field in Outlook or Act! Email.

If you're simply copying and pasting the email addresses into your email client, and not relying on Act! to pre-fill the addresses into your email message, rather than using the email field, which turns anything you put in it into a link, you could use a memo field instead. This will allow you to put many e-mail addresses into one field with the semicolon and spaces as you described.

In case you're interested in doing this instead, I'm including some Knowledgebase articles below that may help you:

How to create and modify fields: http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15331

How to design layouts: http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15332

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage

I will try this -- thanks so much!

It is a shame that ACT took away the functionality that was there, as there was no reason to do so. I may also create a new memo field so I can do what I want with it -- too bad ASCT doesn't allow us to set up Preferences for this field, as they do with the phone number fields -- I wouldn't think that would be difficult.

Please see my response to the previous poster, which I have pasted below. What you sent me is helpful, and I will try that. It's just too bad I have to do all that now, when I didn't have to before.

RESPONSE TO PREVIOUS POSTER:
It is a shame that ACT took away the functionality that was there, as there was no reason to do so. I may also create a new memo field so I can do what I want with it -- too bad ASCT doesn't allow us to set up Preferences for this field, as they do with the phone number fields -- I wouldn't think that would be difficult.